MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is with the CentOS following?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2010-11-19, 10:10 PM)ChrisR Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-19, 09:55 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-19, 09:18 PM)MattG Wrote: [ -> ]Centos is best for cpanel. It was the default and it just works great on it, they also suggest it, so that may be why.

FreeBSD is the best operating system for cPanel and web servers in general, imo.

Yea but like all most no vps providers will let you use it, well i got told in irc that you can get it running on Linode but takes a lot of work.

So use a provider that does support it, such as RootBSD.
(2010-11-19, 10:50 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-19, 10:10 PM)ChrisR Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-19, 09:55 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-19, 09:18 PM)MattG Wrote: [ -> ]Centos is best for cpanel. It was the default and it just works great on it, they also suggest it, so that may be why.

FreeBSD is the best operating system for cPanel and web servers in general, imo.

Yea but like all most no vps providers will let you use it, well i got told in irc that you can get it running on Linode but takes a lot of work.

So use a provider that does support it, such as RootBSD.

God <3 BSD. BSD itself is amazing in every state and form, and no insecure crap or bloat.
what about memory usage?
Centos vs FreeBSD?
I would probably say FreeBSD since it doesn't come with all that much.
FreeBSD easily.
Arch Linux FTW!

CentOS 5.5 (64bit VM image) = 65MB RAM
Arch Linux (32bit VM image) = 14MB RAM
(2010-11-21, 11:41 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Arch Linux (32bit VM image) = 14MB RAM

Upss...
the biggest PunBB I have seen Wink
https://bbs.archlinux.org/

:LoL:
Arch isn't really meant for servers.
arch really isn't meant for anything out of the box Toungue.

However considering it usually has the absolute latest version it can possible get of most programs you are probably right Toungue.
Arch is actually perfect for servers. The base has I think 41 components making it excellent for securing and building on. No bloat, no extras, just the base to run the OS and throw on whatever else you need. I'm running a lighttpd server with MySQL, PHP, Fastcgi, and phpMyAdmin and it's pretty awesome. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3