MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: "Can only view own threads" does not work for Guests
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2010-11-26, 04:07 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, but you have yet to address the fact that IP is not a reliable way to track this.

... I thought I did.

Yes, it's true that IP addresses are dynamic. But most users retain the IP for 1 - 2 days at bare minimum.

We provide the assistance immediately, in less than an hour in most cases.

So with the IP changing, and someone else coincidentally taking on an IP of someone posting for "help" in our forum within' the 1-2 days period is extremely unlikely.

As for past threads, we can archive them into a hidden area where only staff can see after the issues are resolved.

And should any user exceed the 1-2 days period, having their IPs changed, and still haven't gotten their answer - they can always post again for help.

It seems to work out that way, especially on my vBulletin board.

(2010-11-26, 08:34 AM)PHP_Paul Wrote: [ -> ]I would half to say this is a bad idea. I mod at forums where members who have been registered for awhile have over 25 IP addresses which overlap with over 11 other members.

If you are indeed a "big board owner" I'm surprised you want IP addresses being all you need to view created threads. It wouldn't work as well as you think.

Right, I have the same cases.
But:
- Users generally overlap with IPs over a long period of time. They don't trade the IPs within' 1-2 days when they're experiencing problems.
- Resolved threads/cases are removed from the public view into an archive area. A place for staff to easily reference back to, without continuing to show any private information publicly.

As I've mentioned, it works well for my vBulletin board, the function is there so I strongly believe it works for other boards as well and can benefit MyBB the same way.
Unless you're a hacker, you're rarely going to change your IP, even with a Dynamic IP due to the fact that not everyone resets their router everyday.

The best way may be to have a popup ask for a password when they create the thread in x forum and request it when they click the thread.
Pages: 1 2