MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Guest ID #s in postbit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys I was hoping somesone could give me some tips on how to go about displaying guest ID numbers in postbit based on session (or possibly based on IP) for my public forum. I suppose preferably based on cookie session so that the same user simply would inherit a new guest ID number should they ever initiate a new session (by clearing their cookie cache)

If someone could explain to me how I would make this work I would really appreciate it.

The only advice I have so far concerning this is as follows:

The user id is nothing more than a simple hitcounter that counts unique IPs. Every time a post is made it checks if that IP has been used before, if not it adds one. The returning value i put in an extra field in the posts table. This is all done when a new post is inserted in the database. In showthread that value is called (like the rest of the posts table info) and evaled into the postbit.
UID != Hitcounter

These are recorded and stored, no increment for an specific UID BTW.

having said that, its very hard to record session's ID and assign to any guest. What if Guest uses any proxy or have a different ISP ?
(2010-11-21, 05:37 AM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]UID != Hitcounter

Hi thank you for response.

I am having trouble understanding the above statement, could you explain it in a little more detail please?

(2010-11-21, 05:37 AM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]These are recorded and stored, no increment for an specific UID BTW.
Would I be better of having it be based on IP?

(2010-11-21, 05:37 AM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]having said that, its very hard to record session's ID and assign to any guest. What if Guest uses any proxy or have a different ISP ?
I am assuming that in this event that the guest should simply be assigned a new user ID number (the next higher available number not yet used)
UID != Hitcounter means User ID is not equal to Hitcounter.

Its a good idea of having ID assigned to guests but IMHO this would be an extra load on your database. Since guests are not registered users, you can check their IPs to know who they are and from where they are.