MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Leaving SMF for ???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
NetSage,
(2010-11-22, 05:09 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]If you have any questions ask Wink.

You may come to reget that offerBig Grin!

For now, where is the best place to post about an install issue. I had to play 3 card monty with config.php during installation. gotter done, though.

I actually left smf for mybb not that long ago and i'm very happy with the move.
(2010-11-22, 06:46 PM)adbrad Wrote: [ -> ]I actually left smf for mybb not that long ago and i'm very happy with the move.

+1
From SMF 2.0 RC3 to MyBB 1.6
I went from rc3 to 1.4 then 1.6
Its interesting reading all the comments. I myself have many SMF forums, IPB and now trying MyBB to compare. I will admit that modifying SMF does take some doing, my background is in web development makes that simple but for others it is not so hence I understand the frustration. It reminds me of the YaBB system that was popular in 2000. I like the amount of options already configured in MyBB.
I personally have SMF and MyBB and our group has moved from using SMF 2.0 RC4 to MyBB 1.6. In all seriousness we're still undecided in terms of which forum we're going to stick with. A lot of people talk about how this forum is better than that forum and such but you never really get any details.

In my opinion and my opinion only, they both have strengths and weaknesses. SMF I felt had better admin control in that it allowed you to do things that MyBB does not. For example: You can preset an edit time in which the "Last edited at ..." text will not display. You can enable the custom title and give them permissions so only X membergroup can actually change their title. Spam control is higher and spider tracking and user tracking also appear to be more advanced in SMF.

MyBB however is more modern and offers a ton of features. It already comes with full support for video embedding, something SMF failed on. Installing Plugin (mods) aren't as easy as they were with SMF but it's easy enough and usually transfers to custom themes much better. You can edit theme scripting files right in the admin panel. It has a much better use of AJAX features. Heck you can quote several people all at once even across threads and pages -something you could only do by opening the forum twice and copy/pasting quotes with SMF.

I think as you play with MyBB you will find the features rich and downright wonderful. I'll also go as far as to say MyBB seems to have a better community.
I tend to want to color outside the lines.

I spent days reviewing other packages. Permissions are a big deal with me. I want guests to realize they must submit to total subjugation. I find it keeps spammers abiding.

Next is uniqueness.

Backward compatibility. I hate having to buy a new cell phone. I have a box of them including an analog Motorola with a data interface.

Options. I even went through the mutilation of etano (very very bad) and having to execute a CP switch, hoping to enhance user profiles and add a portal to SMF 1.1.11. 1.1.12 totally alienated me.

So here I sit, MyBB. So far I have only sacrificed Theme Flexibilty, but gained that portal. Barring a database corruption I would give it one star, which from me is a glowing endorsement. I have yet to put a load on the email. I can at this point recommend it to the forum connoisseurs palette as long as they realize this is not SMF.

Truth be told its not that far from that second star.
Isabel,

Oh Oh Oh Ajax is on my list yet! Thanks for reminding meExclamation
But this flood limit has got to GO! Big Grin
(2010-11-24, 05:20 PM)postman Wrote: [ -> ]But this flood limit has got to GO! Big Grin

Both the flood limit and the auto merge can both be disabled or changed in the acp.
Wink Adbrad I meant here on mybb.com. After all with maybe 5 post an hour whats the need?
maybe u spammed some post in one thread somewhere that's why Toungue dunno just my guess
Pages: 1 2 3