MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Appropriate Recommendations?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I used to be involved in a number graphic-related sites, and it was never considered a problem to mention commercial products (exs. Photoshop, plugins, texture makers, color calibrators, etc.). And, of course, we also discussed free products. And when I came here I saw discussions about subscription plugin sites, professional theme services, professional hosting services. I also see people advertising their own professional services in their sig lines.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with any of this. So it came as a shock to me when I got a pm complaining that I posted a link to a logo service, and accusing me of being a spammer.

Being a new kid on the block, I don't want to cause trouble. So is this a "no no." Are there some professional services we are allowed to mention, but others we are not. I don't own the logo company (or any other company).
There is no problem offering your services in your signature.

In topics, you shouldn't be linking to your own service unless the original poster specifically asks for that type of service. Posts should first answer the question, second provide as some advertising for you.

In the Marketplace forum, you are not allowed to offer services that do not pertain specifically to MyBB. So feel free to make a topic if you are offering a Forum Logo creation service.
(2010-11-25, 08:48 PM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]There is no problem offering your services in your signature.

I don't have a service. Someone asked where to get logos, and I posted a link to a site where you can create your own logo, and either link to it (for free) or download it (for money).
(2010-11-25, 09:02 PM)Andrew B. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-25, 08:48 PM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]There is no problem offering your services in your signature.

I don't have a service. Someone asked where to get logos, and I posted a link to a site where you can create your own logo, and either link to it (for free) or download it (for money).

Hmm, then I don't see why it should be a problem.
Who PM'd you? Was it a staff member?
If the user who PM'd you wasn't staff, then just ignore them.
No, it wasn't staff. And based on the answers I got here, I guess I should just forget about it.

Thanks for the feedback.
Our rules on spamming:
Quote:3.1 - No spamming or irrelevant advertising
Spam: Pointless posts with little relevance to the topic
Irrelevant advertising: promotion of products or services that are not related to the topic

Posts which constitute either of these will be removed on sight.

And signatures:
Quote:Signatures:
  • Are a maximum of two images with combined maximum dimensions of 500x100 pixels
  • Animated GIFs are not permitted
  • Signatures can contain a maximum of 5 lines of text or a maximum of 3 lines of text if also using a image
  • Do not use large text
  • Links must adhere to the Showcase Guidelines in terms of content and MyBB forums must display the minimum powered by message.
  • No referral links

If you were not breaking any of the above rules then you shouldn't worry about the PM you received Wink

If you were concerned by the PM then please forward it to a staff member and we will look into it, if there was a problem the user who PMed you should have reported it and left it to the staff to handle.
Ya you should be fine Andrew. Until you get a notice from staff. Also just read the rules providing a link like the one you described doesn't sound bad at all. They're just probably cheap and wanted one of the paid ones. Toungue
(2010-11-26, 01:59 AM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]If you were concerned by the PM then please forward it to a staff member and we will look into it, if there was a problem the user who PMed you should have reported it and left it to the staff to handle.

I think I'll just let this pass. All the email did was call me a spammer and tell me not to post links. I sent a PM back with a link to this thread.