MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Problem with Cookie Path
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a forum at www.programmersforums.com I have it hosted as an addon domain on my server at hostgator. I bought another domain, www.talkincode.net . I added that as an addon domain also. You can see they both lead to the same place, but I can't login through the www.talkincode.net domain. Someone told me it was because I had to set the cookie settings. Can someone help me with this?
Yes, it's most likely a problem with your cookie URL you have set.
I don't think there is a way to really fix it without sticking to the main domain.
well I want to switch over to the www.talkincode.net domain anyways, how can I make it the main one?
(2010-11-26, 04:07 AM)BuhRock Wrote: [ -> ]well I want to switch over to the www.talkincode.net domain anyways, how can I make it the main one?
Before we get any further, both websites are running off of the same database, correct?
Well I just deleted the addon domain from programmersforums.com and ceated one for talkincode.net . Now I'm going to take all the files from the old directory, and just upload them into the talkincode.net
(2010-11-26, 04:14 AM)BuhRock Wrote: [ -> ]Well I just deleted the addon domain from programmersforums.com and ceated one for talkincode.net . Now I'm going to take all the files from the old directory, and just upload them into the talkincode.net
You need to backup your SQL files and FTP files.
Then when you are done, upload the FTP files, then go to phpMyAdmin on your NEW host and insert the backed up SQL files.
You will also need to edit settings.php AND config.php to change the Cookie URL of your board along with other information.
What do I need to edit in the settings.php ?
(2010-11-26, 04:19 AM)BuhRock Wrote: [ -> ]What do I need to edit in the settings.php ?
Disregard that.
Config.php only.
No, you don't have to edit anything in config.php. I'm also not sure where they said anything about changing hosts, they're changing domain.

The problem is that you cannot setup the cookies to work on both domains. You just need to choose the main domain you want to sue, setup the settings for that, and redirect the other domain to that one.