MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Questions galore
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

Still here, still trying out MyBB, etc... but I've been running into a lot of problems. Mostly small issues that are more annoying than anything.

Where's the recent posts listing? I can't seem to find it anywhere except making a block in the portal for it. Is there no way to make the board index display the recent posts?

Where's the display usergroup key? Can the board index not show that either.

I've been getting a lot of those stupid spammers to my forum. A lot actually (much more than I've ever seen- 7 today!) and when I go to ban them there doesn't seem to be any options as to how you want to ban them? Like it just says ban and for how long. Does this ban on username, IP, email, what? Cause I can't seem to find the actual options on what I want to impose the ban on.

Is there an easier way to search IP? Everytime I try it asks me to enter in an IP address. Can you not automatically search IP from a user to see if other users are using the same IP?

How do I access the portal stuff? I read the wiki and know all about this:

Access to the Portal
By default there are no links to the portal. To access the portal manually, go to http://www.yoursite.com/path/to/mybb/portal.php. If you wish your users to make use of the portal, you may want to add a link to the portal from the header template, or utilize one of the modifications/plugins to provide entry to the portal when users enter your forum.

So basically, this means there's really no use at all for the portal unless I manually install some mods or has this been updated?
(2010-11-26, 11:03 AM)Isabel Wrote: [ -> ]Where's the recent posts listing? I can't seem to find it anywhere except making a block in the portal for it. Is there no way to make the board index display the recent posts?

By default the index is supposed to be just the forums, but plugins can add recent posts.

(2010-11-26, 11:03 AM)Isabel Wrote: [ -> ]Where's the display usergroup key? Can the board index not show that either.

Plugin again, not a default feature.

(2010-11-26, 11:03 AM)Isabel Wrote: [ -> ]I've been getting a lot of those stupid spammers to my forum. A lot actually (much more than I've ever seen- 7 today!) and when I go to ban them there doesn't seem to be any options as to how you want to ban them? Like it just says ban and for how long. Does this ban on username, IP, email, what? Cause I can't seem to find the actual options on what I want to impose the ban on.

It bans the account... they wouldn't be able to use the email address again anyway, and allowing IP bans in the Mod CP would be a big risk.

(2010-11-26, 11:03 AM)Isabel Wrote: [ -> ]Is there an easier way to search IP? Everytime I try it asks me to enter in an IP address. Can you not automatically search IP from a user to see if other users are using the same IP?

In one of their posts you can click the Logged list and search for users/posts with the same IP.

(2010-11-26, 11:03 AM)Isabel Wrote: [ -> ]How do I access the portal stuff? I read the wiki and know all about this:

Access to the Portal
By default there are no links to the portal. To access the portal manually, go to http://www.yoursite.com/path/to/mybb/portal.php. If you wish your users to make use of the portal, you may want to add a link to the portal from the header template, or utilize one of the modifications/plugins to provide entry to the portal when users enter your forum.

So basically, this means there's really no use at all for the portal unless I manually install some mods or has this been updated?

The portal shows announcements/latest posts etc, if you want it to do more than that then yes, you can add plugins to add more things, but it's not necessarily useless without mods...
It is useless as you can't even see the portal page. In fact I had to search this site just to figure out "Oh, I have to go to portal.php manually.. well that's odd." No one is going to care about that and I highly doubt any of my users are going to remember, "oh let me type portal.php so I can see a very awkwardly laid out portal which I'm used to seeing right there with the forum".

The Mod CP IP ban thing may be fine. But I usually go into the Admin CP. And all is asks for is the reason and the length.

Argh, re-reading this I know it sounds kind of hostile. I'm sorry I don't mean to sound angry or anything. I'm just not in the best of moods right now and I'm too lazy to try to think of another to retype everything.

PS- Which one of you freaks thought it would be funny to delete my butterfly!?