MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Anyone else have massive amounts of "spam" users registering?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Same thing is happening to me. I wonder if the Akismet plugin will help with bot registrations.
We just added some really nice features to our plug in - ver 1.2. I just submitted it today (Nov 30, 2010), with the new options that might help out a lot. I'm waiting for the update approval now, if you just can't wait, you can download it from our website.
i'm a new forum, relatively unknown, but i'm getting anywhere from 2 to 4 new spam registrants every day for several weeks now. it's a gigantic pain in the lime.
This does happen, but it's not a security issue. It's simple a way of advertising that's really dumb. Try some plugins like Askimet and StopForumSpam. You can also set it to Admin Approval.
I think this problem needs to be addressed more, should be fixed without a plugin.
Its a common issue with all the (almost) scripts, bots are getting smarter and talking like humans these days Sad
Same problem here. I've also installed re-captcha. If someone signs up, some bots advertise on their profile, in their www and their signature - if they do, i'll ban those for a year then just keep the rest unless they have a really stupid name then i just delete them.
I used to have several bots register in a week from a single country. After installing Stop Forum Spam and reCAPTCHA, it's now down to about one a week from many different countries. I haven't enabled Akismet due to many false positives that I have encountered a while back.
Pages: 1 2