MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Prevent large infux of registration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I have noticed that everyday I get a few signups and the user either does not activate their account or activates it and does not post, I have a feeling they are spam bots.

What can I do to prevent this?
In the other thread here, most just banned them, however I was thinking that they add to your "impressions" so maybe keep them around, but limit their permissions?

Toungue
What do you mean impressions?
Page Impressions - the number of hits your pages get.

I've noticed these spam bots almost always visit the site, so if you just limit their permissions to view pages only, then that could work out great.
Ahh yes I knew that, I'm not fussed by how many views I get, I just want to prevent them from registering as running

SELECT * FROM mybb_users WHERE usergroup = '5' gets annoying after a while Toungue
There is a link to all awaiting activation users on the ACP home page, you don't need to keep running that query...
Yeah true, but still is there anyway to prevent loads of signups?
(2010-11-29, 04:56 PM)markwesley Wrote: [ -> ]everyday I get a few signups

(2010-11-30, 01:28 AM)markwesley Wrote: [ -> ]is there anyway to prevent loads of signups?

Undecided

Every forum gets spammers, there are plugins to help prevent them here on the mods site, other than that there's not much you can do, just get some active moderators to deal with them.

Its the same with all forum softwares , you need to get along (never had that problem in some forums that i owned or worked for, though) Smile