MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: forum permissions, real headscratcher :D
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
ok, wow, ya'll are going to love this one...

i am trying to setup a makeshift blog functionality through the use of the mybb forum software and careful use of permissions...

but something is not working, and i'm puzzled...

-------------------------------------

this is my website layout:

category 1
- forum a
- forum b
- forum c

category 2
- forum a
- forum b
- forum c

category 3
- forum a (BLOGS)
--subforum 1: user's name
--subforum 2: user's name
--subforum 3: user's name

i do not have "moderator" per se in the typical sense. i am admin and i do all moderation, so the only other usergroup i have is registered users and they have all the usual permissions.

i wanted to allow specific user's to have "blogs" (aka - their own forum) where only they could post, but i wanted to give them moderator permissions (FOR THAT FORUM ONLY, WHICH IS WHERE I AM HAVING TROUBLE), so i have carefully went through the permissions multiple times.

for some reason when i make a user a moderator of his or her "blog" forum (and only that forum), they still retain moderator permissions in other forums.

sound convoluted? lol, it is... i am lost. hmm...

is there a better way to create subforums where only one person can post?
Make a usergroup specific for each person :/ then make that usergroup a modorator in that forum only, and also keep them with the regular membergroup? Idk if that works but it did in my head lol
you know, i thought about that, i might try it if i have to...

but a couple problems with that:

first, you could end up with hundreds of usergroups, which wouldn't be the end of the world as long as mybb allows it

second, i am unsure if that person's moderator permissions would carry over to other forums.

because what is happening now is really weird.

i am making a specific forum, where only "moderators" can post, then i am making one person the moderator of only that forum. somehow she is ending up with moderator permissions in other places. the reason i wanted them to have moderator permissions was so they could stick/unstick/delete/merge threads in their own forum.

Sad
the person you are testing permissions against is only in the registered group and no other additional groups?

did you assign this person as the moderator of 'category 3' instead of her own 'subforum X'
to be honest with you, and it's sad to say, i'm not sure...lol

i've been trying to remedy the situation and have been changing things. i temporarily disabled the blog forum, so no problem there.

at this point, i'm sure it's some conflict i am causing with permissions between individual users, usergroups, and forums.

i just wonder the best way to achieve what i am looking to accomplish. because i doubt this is a problem with myBB so much as a problem with my understanding of myBB. Angel

what i want to achieve is to create subforums where:
- only one person can post
- that person can have limited moderator powers (hopefully) such as delete, merge, stick/unstick, edit without time limits, etc.
remove all moderators from each of the blog forums and the blog category

go to ACP > Users and Groups > Groups and see how many users are listed in each group. There should be 1 in admin and 0 moderator and supoer moderator. if not, use teh drop down menu and View Users. Then for each user, edit their profile to remove then from all but the registered groups (ignoring yourself of course)

those two steps should clean up the moderator issues.

then go to ACP > Forums & Posts > Forum Managmement then in the drop down for a 'blog' forum, select Moderators, then start typing that blog owner's name in the "Add a User as a Moderator" then the Add User as Moderator button. Then once the page refreshes, click the Edit next to that users name and set the specific permissions you want them to have.

repeat for each 'blog' and user.

that will cover the moderation, but it does NOT address the issue of being the only ones allowed to post.

to do that you will need to put each user in a usergroup, or find/request/create a plugin that will convert a forum to such a format and limit posting access
hmm, i tried what you said.

it appears that moderator permissions are not exclusive to SUB-forums, maybe i am wrong, but no matter what i do, when i appoint someone moderator of a subforum, they gain moderator permissions over the parent forum and all the subforums. hmm...

also, what is the difference between "child" forum and "sub" forum?
i give up.

2 1/2 hrs in and the permission system has blown my mind.

i'm too used to "those other forums that shall remain unnamed"
I just tried this out by creating a test sub forum and then assigned moderator to user Test2. When I log in as user Test2 I only have moderator priv in the test sub forum.

Using MyBB 1.6
(2010-11-30, 01:39 AM)Gene_RI Wrote: [ -> ]I just tried this out by creating a test sub forum and then assigned moderator to user Test2. When I log in as user Test2 I only have moderator priv in the test sub forum.

Using MyBB 1.6

yes, i should be more clear. but, can you now post in the other subforum and reply? although registered users are set to view only? see, my situation is that moderator of subforum 2 can reply in subforum 1 and even start new topics in it.

i have all user groups set to view only, except moderators.

but somehow when i make a person moderator of subforum 1, they can now post, reply, and start new threads in subforum 2
I tested creating some more sub / child forums and you are correct, once named a moderator they can post in another forum. Changing custom permissions to not let moderators post in a forum also stops the named forum moderator from posting or replying.

Dodgy
Pages: 1 2