MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Autism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm a parent of three children with autism. Just wondering if anyone else here is a parent of children with autism or maybe you have siblings / relatives with autism. I always like to find how people cope / adjust to the challenges.
I have it. What do yea need to know?
Yup, I have it. Smile
When you all say you have "it" what does that mean? Autism is a broad spectrum. What are your specific challenges in the social sphere, are you PDD-NOS - Asperger's - low functioning / high functioning, etc.
I have Aspergers...
Which means I can go into big rages if something goes wrong or my routine is disrupted.
Some people do not feel that Asperger's is under the umbrella of Autism, others do. I know what you mean about the routine. I have to warm up my children to any change in what they expect or there are melt downs and tantrums.
(2010-11-30, 03:31 PM)Kyuubi Wrote: [ -> ]I have Aspergers...
Which means I can go into big rages if something goes wrong or my routine is disrupted.

This. Though i also have selected OCD which to a study i was part in, seemed to be a common occurance.

(2010-11-30, 04:22 PM)Looking Wrote: [ -> ]Some people do not feel that Asperger's is under the umbrella of Autism, others do. I know what you mean about the routine. I have to warm up my children to any change in what they expect or there are melt downs and tantrums.

To most its the difference between non-verbal and verbal aspergers. One who can get a routine and cope with it, it is almost undetectable. I remember i was asked by a nursing prof. to come in and have a philosophical discussion with her class for a while, to teach them how hard it is to actually detect disabilities in people and such.
OCD traits are very common and unique to every person. For my sons I notice they feed off each others traits which makes them very hard to break.
My cousin is autistic, minor/medium autism just has a hard time interacting with people. etc.
(2010-11-30, 08:15 PM)Looking Wrote: [ -> ]OCD traits are very common and unique to every person. For my sons I notice they feed off each others traits which makes them very hard to break.

Though this exists more noticably and won't follow routines.

Example. My room. Mess. My files on my computer. So organized its not good. I hate exercising, though i walk and run everywhere.

The person who was the head of the study had a son in a simliar position, his books where organized by D.D system without any second help.
Pages: 1 2