MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Threads and Posts - How2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2010-12-02, 05:00 AM)postman Wrote: [ -> ]AJS,

I didnt expect a SMF attitude here.

Actually you could ask, What is the point in using MYBB?

Few mods, sparse support. Only thing in surplus is EX SMF users.
Mybb blows SMF away... There just really is no point to your idea...

(2010-12-02, 05:00 AM)postman Wrote: [ -> ]AJS,

I didnt expect a SMF attitude here.

Actually you could ask, What is the point in using MYBB?

Few mods, sparse support. Only thing in surplus is EX SMF users.

So what would be the point in hiding threads/posts from guests on the index but still allowing them to see them on forum display?

Yeah, the support here totally sucks that's why you've had 11 replies in less 24 hours - just awful.
(2010-12-02, 05:55 AM)Sunsettommy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-01, 05:46 PM)postman Wrote: [ -> ]I forgot to include,

... and still see the forums.

I am assuming you mean guests can still see the forum on the index page but not see the threads and postings inside?

if so,try this:

ACP>Forum & Posts>Chose forum and click on OPTIONS button>Permissions>Edit Permissions.

(2010-12-02, 06:28 AM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-01, 05:00 PM)postman Wrote: [ -> ]AJS,

Understood. The next ? would be. "Is there a way "guests" only wouldnt see Threads, Posts and Last, columns or see the columns and not the values in them?"

Try this: http://community.mybb.com/thread-58893.html

Yaldaram,

While I digest that link,

Sunsettommy,

I was able to do this in SMF by adding a "is registered?" parameter to the THEME. However since MYBB is totally different, I am still in the learning curve.

I want GUEST to view the INDEX.php (httq://mydomain.com/mybb/index.php), but want the "threads","posts","last post" columns deleted or the values in them blank.

this is how it was accomplished in SMF

if (!empty($board['last_post']['id']))

was changed to

if (!empty($board['last_post']['id']) && $context['user']['is_logged']

thanks
This sounds interstingLightbulb

(2009-10-31, 01:53 PM)FBI Wrote: [ -> ]nice trick Babjusi. As usual you're great Wink

this trick good for guest to see No Permission Error (without loggin in)

And there is another trick (built-in) which show statistic like total thread/post/last post from The Private Forum (hidden).

After set the Hide Private Forums to No (as Babjusi suggest)

Go to Admin Panel - Forums & Posts
Then Choose Forum/Sub Forum (you want to set as private)
At Permissions tab, there is custom setting.
And for this case is Guest (Not Loggin in) setting
Go to right, set the custom EDIT PERMISSIONS
Find and check Can view threads within forum?

Done!
Your guest will see there is active thread/post within those forum/category on Main Index Forum, like total thread/posts and latest post. But, still your guest cannot access it, and Login Form will display Wink

goodluck
The point is, I don't believe that's possible without a few core code edits, and there is no point whatsoever to it... What would the benefit of that be?
(2010-12-02, 09:51 PM)Derek M. Wrote: [ -> ]The point is, I don't believe that's possible without a few core code edits, and there is no point whatsoever to it... What would the benefit of that be?

i agree with derek and ajs, and i happen to like having guest being able to view my forums because it allows them to see the content and give them a reason to stick around! Smile
~Rs,

This is a developers support forum. My question is because "I WANT IT".

Now after reading all your post all I have to say, consider the source.

It aint like you are going to have to go to Lloyds of London for Flash Insurance because you are blinding people with brillance.

[Image: rs.gif]

http://reflectionsdirect.com/forums/
Well, it most likely can't be done - so you'll have to settle with something else unless someone who knows how can help.

Also, why did you link us to Rs's site?
my site is still under development stages. it's been open 2 weeks smartass, and it is already better than your site. you might have noticed that you can't even register yet.

you might have noticed at the bottom that there are only 3 members (all of which are owners/bots) and that i have disabled registration BECAUSE I'M STILL WORKING ON IT. it's kind of hard to get straight a's in college courses and start-up a new forum WITHIN WEEKS.

and by the way, you linked to the forum i'm working on right now, how the hell are you supposed to know how many i have owned/worked on in the past? i was referring to other sites i have run when i said:
(2010-12-02, 10:13 PM)~Rs Wrote: [ -> ]i agree with derek and ajs, and i happen to like having guest being able to view my forums because it allows them to see the content and give them a reason to stick around! Smile

you might want to think before you post. you are a typical smf smartass/user.

goodbye and goodnight sir.
Pages: 1 2