MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Points and Achievement System - The Best?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It seems there's a number of points systems, sometimes with achievement plugins too. Of course, I've searched and found out there's a good few. But I am having difficulty deciding which to spend my cash on (some are paid) and I'd like to hear any opinions.

A money system would be nice, and also an achievement system is important. I want to be able to award achievements not only for post counts and thread counts, but also for posts/threads in a particular forum. (For instance, "New in Town" achievement for creating a thread in the welcome forum.) I'm a paid subscriber at MyBB Central where they offer MYPS but the achievement system just isn't as feature-packed as I'd like, plus the admin never updates and if I wanted to upgrade to 1.6, he hasn't ported any over. Sad

So paid or unpaid, I don't mind. Just let me know which you think are best from your experiences. I think point/achievement systems are very nice as they keep members wanting to come back, yet I don't want to spend my cash again on a site where I won't quite get what I want. (I admit, I probably should have done my research.)

Thanks.
have you tried New Points ?
The only achievements plugin available for MyBB is My Achievements, I coded it (it's paid) but note that it is not only an awards system where you can give achievements/awards manually but it also comes with automatic achievements, for example for post count, thread count, etc. I also coded NewPoints which doesn't have many plugins, actually only a few.

I plan to release new plugins for NewPoints soon though.
why not buy jesse labrocca's award plugin for achivements.

mybbcentral.com/subscribe.php
(2010-12-01, 05:34 PM)Fluid Mantis Wrote: [ -> ]...if I wanted to upgrade to 1.6...

You are using MyBB 1.4.x: The best points/money system is still MyPlaza Turbo. Newpoints is easier to use;
MyPlaza Turbo is amazing. Smile

(2010-12-03, 11:00 PM)Green Wrote: [ -> ]why not buy jesse labrocca's award plugin for achivements.

mybbcentral.com/subscribe.php

Labrocca's plugin is used for awards, not achievements. And it isn't that friendly if you want to give awards for X posts, when you have 1,000 active users.

(2010-12-03, 11:47 PM)seeker Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-01, 05:34 PM)Fluid Mantis Wrote: [ -> ]...if I wanted to upgrade to 1.6...

You are using MyBB 1.4.x: The best points/money system is still MyPlaza Turbo. Newpoints is easier to use;
MyPlaza Turbo is amazing. Smile

I must agree with you, MP is still the best points system for MyBB, even though I do not plan to "revive" it.
Thanks for your replies. Pirata Nervo, would your plugin allow what I specified in the original post? (e.g. achievements for post count in a particular forum)

NewPoints and MyPlaza sound good, but I guess it wouldn't be easily possible to award users with money based on achievements they earn... unless you are making a plugin for NewPoints to do this? If so, that would be awesome.

Edit: Actually, I guess this can be done by setting the same conditions for the achievement and the money reward, right? I think I'll check your plugins out!

Thanks again!
(2010-12-05, 11:35 PM)Fluid Mantis Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your replies. Pirata Nervo, would your plugin allow what I specified in the original post? (e.g. achievements for post count in a particular forum)

NewPoints and MyPlaza sound good, but I guess it wouldn't be easily possible to award users with money based on achievements they earn... unless you are making a plugin for NewPoints to do this? If so, that would be awesome.

Edit: Actually, I guess this can be done by setting the same conditions for the achievement and the money reward, right? I think I'll check your plugins out!

Thanks again!

No, post count achievements are given per all forums and not a single one.
Even if you're not interested, I'll leave the link here so you may check it if you wish: http://shopmybb.com/item/my-achievements/11

You can check out a demo at http://forums.consoleaddicted.com it's been running on my forums since its initial private release.

It runs smoothly and it is bug free as far as I know since no one has reported any issues and I haven't found any either. Plus, before it was released I put it under testing on those forums for nearly 1 month so I can say that it is probably bug free by now.

Let me know if you've got any questions.
Sorry for bumping this days later. Pirata, do you have any plans to implement new features such as what I suggested? I realise you have other things to do, but I think plugins like this are in high demand and it would be great if they had new features. I'm sure for a skilled programmer, implementing such an award function which could just compare it to a specific forum's post count for a user would be easy.

I do have a friend who is ace at programming and PHP though. Maybe he could do it for me. Alternatively, I could just find another plugin that tells users exactly how many posts they have in other forums, and have them to contact me for specific forum achievements. A little high-maintenance if I get a high user base, but it's better than nothing!
(2010-12-09, 11:55 PM)Fluid Mantis Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for bumping this days later. Pirata, do you have any plans to implement new features such as what I suggested? I realise you have other things to do, but I think plugins like this are in high demand and it would be great if they had new features. I'm sure for a skilled programmer, implementing such an award function which could just compare it to a specific forum's post count for a user would be easy.

I do have a friend who is ace at programming and PHP though. Maybe he could do it for me. Alternatively, I could just find another plugin that tells users exactly how many posts they have in other forums, and have them to contact me for specific forum achievements. A little high-maintenance if I get a high user base, but it's better than nothing!

The thing is, counting ALL posts in a certain forum for thousands of users is rather intensive for the server - don't forget that would not be the only type of achievements.
Pages: 1 2