MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: accessing a non GoDaddy database with forum hosted on GoDaddy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am trying to install a myBB forum on a website hosted through GoDaddy, but was getting tons of "Too many database connections" errors, so I tried installing just the database on a different server, but GoDaddy tells me that I need to configure the database connection to use port 3306.

I tried placing this in config.php, but it doesn't work:

$config['database']['port'] = '3306';

Does anybody know what I need to do to make this work? I.E. a myBB forum hosted on GoDaddy, with the database hosted on a non GoDaddy server.
You should be able to use database from anywhere as long as the configuration is right. On the non-godaddy server make sure that you allow connections from remote and not just localhost. The port number you set in MyBB should be the same as the port number that the non-godaddy server is listening on.

Try using MySQL workbench to connect to the remote server to make sure everything is right and you can connect to the database. Once you can do that, set it up in MyBB config
The non GoDaddy server is a dedicated linux server with WHM/cPanel. The only option for remote access that I am aware of is in the MySQL Datase panel - Access Hosts, and only seems to allow I.P qaddresses to be entered, which I've done.

Where do I set the port number in myBB? I tried using what's shown above and that doesn't work.
You can't make a forum hosted apart from the database. It has to be on the same server to run - unless you want two separate forums. Also, Godaddy is a TERRIBLE host. I can offer you some MUCH better hosting. Click my signature. Smile
I absolutely HATE GoDaddy!

I have my own dedicated server with IWeb and they are awesome! But, I am doing this one as a favor for a friend, and that's where he has the site hosted.

But, there shouldn't be a problem hosting the database on a separate server and calling it in the config file, otherwise it wouldn't need the hostname.
No... They have to be on the same server. Trust me, it just can't be done. Or else, I could go and call Mybb's forum database for my forum, and etc.
(2010-12-02, 12:34 AM)Derek M. Wrote: [ -> ]No... They have to be on the same server. Trust me, it just can't be done. Or else, I could go and call Mybb's forum database for my forum, and etc.

Not without a username and password, which you'd be hard pressed to get. And again, it does ask for a hostname, so I have to think it can be done.

I've got a service request into IWeb now to configure remote access, cause I'm not sharp enought to edit MySQL through a command line interface myself. I'll come back and post whether I get it to work or not.

For the last time, I know it wont work or I'll lick my foot (went barefoot today xD). And, that's true - but still it's impossible to do. Or else people all over would be discussing it - and I would most likely know. Why not have Godaddy help you out with the database or move your friend to a different host? He can use my hosting services, and we support Mybb.
Not true! They do NOT have to be on the same server. They can be on separate servers, albeit the overhead and performance hit will be proportional to the size of the board, so expect big boards to slow down to a crawl, especially if there are alot of hops between the 2 servers.

@OP not sure about cpanel, but if you have access to phpmyadmin check under privileges for the user used to connect to the database. You can set access from any remote by using % so that the user would look like user@%

Also to set the port number in the config file use server:port under the hostname
$config['database']['hostname'] = '12.34.56.78:3306';

(2010-12-02, 12:52 AM)Derek M. Wrote: [ -> ]For the last time, I know it wont work or I'll lick my foot (went barefoot today xD). And, that's true - but still it's impossible to do. Or else people all over would be discussing it - and I would most likely know. Why not have Godaddy help you out with the database or move your friend to a different host? He can use my hosting services, and we support Mybb.

LOL Derek! Get ready to lick your foot coz I assure you it can be done! I have done it in the past.

The reason you can not just go ahead and use any database is because as stated above by mark you need the correct credentials and hostname to be able to use the database. Which is why username and passwords of databases n eed to be very hard to decipher Wink

(2010-12-02, 12:55 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]Not true! They do NOT have to be on the same server. They can be on separate servers, albeit the overhead and performance hit will be proportional to the size of the board, so expect big boards to slow down to a crawl, especially if there are alot of hops between the 2 servers.

@OP not sure about cpanel, but if you have access to phpmyadmin check under privileges for the user used to connect to the database. You can set access from any remote by using % so that the user would look like user@%

Also to set the port number in the config file use server:port under the hostname
$config['database']['hostname'] = '12.34.56.78:3306';

(2010-12-02, 12:52 AM)Derek M. Wrote: [ -> ]For the last time, I know it wont work or I'll lick my foot (went barefoot today xD). And, that's true - but still it's impossible to do. Or else people all over would be discussing it - and I would most likely know. Why not have Godaddy help you out with the database or move your friend to a different host? He can use my hosting services, and we support Mybb.

LOL Derek! Get ready to lick your foot coz I assure you it can be done! I have done it in the past.

The reason you can not just go ahead and use any database is because as stated above by mark you need the correct credentials and hostname to be able to use the database. Which is why username and passwords of databases n eed to be very hard to decipher Wink
I want pictures/links/test accounts before I lick my foot. I'm not being cheated. Toungue

Pages: 1 2