MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Word Filter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,

Is there any way to filter words alone without being filtered out in another word?

Eg.

I filter the word lime

But I only what the word lime to be filtered. At the moment, if I type association, it will come up as ***ociation.

Is there any way of stopping this?
At the moment you'd have to add several to accomplish that.

Would you like to see a "match whole word only?" option?
Chris Boulton Wrote:At the moment you'd have to add several to accomplish that.

Would you like to see a "match whole word only?" option?
Yes, I would like to see that feature Smile
I would want "whole word only" on by default. On another forum, our recipe thread was totally messed up (it seems p00n is a bad word so spoon would always get changed).
laie_techie Wrote:I would want "whole word only" on by default. On another forum, our recipe thread was totally messed up (it seems p00n is a bad word so spoon would always get changed).
Not on by default. If someone wanted to say a swear word all the time, then they would just add a letter in front of it. Maybe have it something like vBulletin's. If you wanted it to filter a word alone, you would put {} around it. Eg. {lime} and it will only filter that word. But if you wanted something to be filtered in everything, you wouldn't put {} around it.
People will find ways around the filter no matter what (one reason we have moderators), but we should limit the number of false positives. In the situation you mentioned, perhaps a compromise by looking for either a word boundary OR numeric digit.

To be even safer, we could translate ever bad word into every possible 1337 spelling (i => 1 or !, e=>3, etc). This would slow down the process but lower the number of false negatives.
We still need to find a way to get around stuff like this:

bad[b][/b]word