MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Different language copy of the forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hello people!
First I want to say that I am really really impressed by myBB after I tried it and I plan to keep using it for my forums for sure!
Please keep an awesome work, just as you did so far! Smile

Now I'm an ABSOLUTE newbie to myBB as well as to paid hosting that I've just started and I have a (hopefully)not-too-big problem.
I have my forum set up and almost ready to go, but that is English version where forum itself, title as well as categories descriptions, topics descriptions, topics and posts are all in English language of course, that all including its portal is placed on my www.SiteName.com
What I want is just simply make that SAME EXACT COPY(not the instance, a separate copy) of forum and transfer it to the www.SiteName.com/Serbian directory(my native language is Serbian, and I plan to eventually do this for other languages in future as well), and then simply edit the title, categories descriptions and topics descriptions into Serbian language as well as install the Serbian language for the forum itself(which is available as I saw Wink) as for topics and posts that is easy I'll erase English ones, as I need to start it all again anyways.
Also about users, I want to erase them or better yet leave them out if possible, and simply make it so that you have to do a new separate registration for the Serbian forum.

I tried this by copying my entire root(public_html) content to my public_html/Serbian new created folder, but of course, as I make changes on Sebian forum it changes the english one as well, and vice versa. Maybe its because I copied entire root content, and not just forum stuff? Or perhaps that has to do with that mySQL databases thingie? - something just tells me so! Smile
Why I want this? - because I set up some plugins such as Facebook Connect by Nayar(which rocks!) and many other stuff, and I really don't want to do it all from scratch again for the Serbian version of the forum.

So is this what I want possible? and if it is is it a GOOD way of having your site in multiple languages!? would you perhaps advise me some better method?
I don't really think having a single English forum with country-prefixed topics is a smart idea at all, but there might be some better approaches and I would STRONGLY like to hear them before you start helping me out with my method, as they simply might be better.

Thank you for reading, sorry for the big post and I apology because of my bad English.
It's changing on both because you're using the same database.

You could take a backup of the database and import it into a new database and then edit ./inc/config.php of the second forum to run on the new database.
^AJS, thank you very much for your reply! that makes sense. Is it possible its just those 2 steps?
1.Create new database (just as I made the first one using MySQL?), import the content of the old database into that new created one.
2.Go into root/inc/config.php(in my case public_html/inc/config.php) and change that file.
am I right?

if those two steps are all, that is great then! but still I have no clue which lines exactly should I change inside the config.php file?

I am sorry for asking many questions but I really have ZERO experience with all this stuff, plus I am a paranoid about these things.
So if you could tell me precisely step by step what should I do(of course if you can and want) I would appreciate it very much.
Well it'll be public_html/serbian/inc/config.php that you want to change, based on what you've said above.

You're looking for:
$config['database']['type'] = 'mysql';
$config['database']['hostname'] = 'localhost';
$config['database']['username'] = 'username';
$config['database']['password'] = 'password';
$config['database']['database'] = 'database_mybb';
$config['database']['table_prefix'] = 'mybb_';

That should be all you need to change, since you've already copied all the files etc.
AJS! thank you soooo much! this got to be billion times easier than I imagined it Smile
Everything is very clear now except....EDIT...no everything is clear! I did it! thanks again a lot! Big Grin