MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Precautions before 1.4.11 to 1.6 upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since I never modified the User CP code, and apparently the templates were already reverted when I completed the upgrade, this means that I need to modify the User CP template of the theme I am using to "1.6-spec" so to speak in order to fix the broken layout, correct?

The User CP is the only broken area I've found yet. I didn't realize before the upgrade that the theme itself needs to be in 1.6-compliance for a a flawless update.

Should I make a separate thread regarding how to fix this template to 1.6 compatibility? Does anyone have any ideas, links,or tutorials by which I can educate myself as to what needs to be modified?

Thanks for all the help so far.

You may not have edited it, but the structure of it has changed in the upgrade, so when the 1.6 code is trying to put the information into a 1.4 template, it's not going to work. Are you sure you're looking at the right template set here, because that template does not seem to be default at all.

No other templates may be broken, but as I said, you won't have the new features showing up if you don't revert other templates to default.

No real need to make another thread seeing as we're already discussing it here... you've been given steps on how to update the templates, there's also some CSS additions you may need to make. You were told in previous posts that the theme would need updates...
If you want to pm me some admin details i'll try and fix up the theme providing as and when i get time so it might take a few days.
(2010-12-10, 07:15 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]You may not have edited it, but the structure of it has changed in the upgrade, so when the 1.6 code is trying to put the information into a 1.4 template, it's not going to work. Are you sure you're looking at the right template set here, because that template does not seem to be default at all.

No other templates may be broken, but as I said, you won't have the new features showing up if you don't revert other templates to default.

No real need to make another thread seeing as we're already discussing it here... you've been given steps on how to update the templates, there's also some CSS additions you may need to make. You were told in previous posts that the theme would need updates...

I am somewhat confused regarding the templates. When you complete a 1.4.x to 1.6.x upgrade, do the templates revert by default or not? I need to manually "revert other templates to default"? Just the templates that appear to be broken or all templates need to be reverted manually?

Regarding whether the template for the user CP is default, the theme may have changed it as part of the theme, I'm not sure as I'm not knowledgable regarding the exact default look of MyBB.

(2010-12-10, 10:12 AM)adbrad Wrote: [ -> ]If you want to pm me some admin details i'll try and fix up the theme providing as and when i get time so it might take a few days.

Thank you for the offer. I may take you up on that if I cannot get this fixed myself over the next few days. That said, I am persistent and am trying to best wrap my head around the issues I'm facing because I like to educate myself and I still have two more boards to upgrade.
No, it won't revert edited templates to default, so that it doesn't overwrite changes you may have made without warning. If a template has changed in the upgrade but it hadn't been edited at any point, then it gets reverted as normal, but if you've made edits to it, and the upgrade needs to change it, it won't. You will need to revert most of the templates that say they've been updated to default, otherwise you may be missing out on 1.6 features. I've already given steps on how to revert them to default, I'll post them again.

MattRogowski Wrote:ACP > Templates & Style > Templates > Find Updated Templates > this will be a list of all templates that have changed, you'll need to click Options > Revert to Original to get the default code back, or you can choose View Diff Report to see what's changed and what code you may have changed yourself.

You can view a diff report on the templates to see what's actually changed between the current version you've got, and the default version.
Ah, now I think I understand. Thanks for posting those directions again -- I did not mean to ignore them the first time, rather I just did not understand how/when to apply them.

Sorry if I've been dense but I do appreciate the help! I'll update some templates and report back.

As the theme this forum is using has not been updated to 1.6-spec and will not be updated to 1.6-spec by the theme author, are there any 1.6 features my board will be missing even after the template reversions?

One of the other boards I need to update is also using an antiquated yet beautifully-designed theme which I really do not want to change unless I must.
Once all the templates are reverted to original then you'll have all the 1.6 features. Smile
Should I be performing these template reversions with plugins on or deactivated? Plugins must be deactivated right?

I reverted a few templates before I thought about this and hoped I'm not overwriting any insertions in the templates caused by plugins...
It doesn't really matter, but if plugins don't show after reverting the templates you'll need to deactivate and activate them or make the changes manually.
Thanks for the unbelievably prompt support, AJS. Smile

Templates completed! Now that forum is done. I'll continue posting in this thread if I have problems with the next forum update.
Pages: 1 2