MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Precautions before 1.4.11 to 1.6 upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone,

I need to upgrade three MyBB 1.4.11 boards to 1.6.0. Hence I need to be sure I complete the upgrades properly!

I've never completed a major MyBB upgrade before so I have been researching to be sure I'm prepared.

I have studied this page:

http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Upgrading

But I still have a few questions I would like answered to put my mind at ease:
  • Is there a way to retain my plugin settings, or should I just write them all down?
  • How do I copy all my template edits? Just one by one using the "find updated templates function"?
  • Will any changes be made to the theme? I've changed much of the CSS and do not want to lose the changes.
  • Anything else I should copy down before I upgrade?
  • Any way to keep my smilie settings?

And yes I will be sure to have a copy of the database.

Thanks for the help.
1) No need to worry about your plugins, just deactivate all of them (NOT Uninstall!)
2) Your theme will only need to be updated to have the new features. Not too sure about this though.
3) Nope
4) Smilies and their settings won't disappear...
If you make sure you have database and files backups, you'll be able to recover what you had even if your server bursts into flames.

It won't undo your template edits, but you will need to go through after the upgrade and revert the templates to default; however you can view a diff report on the templates to see what's actually changed, so you don't have to note any of the changes down before the upgrade or anything.
Thank you both for the replies.

(2010-12-05, 10:10 AM)Kyuubi Wrote: [ -> ]4) Smilies and their settings won't disappear...

This part of the upgrade page is what confused me regarding that:

Quote:Upload ALL of the files and folders in the "Upload" folder including the install folder, overwriting the existing copies (this contains the upgrade files also) to your forums root directory.

So I don't have to replace the smilies folder? Or the avatar folder? What folders and files must I replace? I notice that one of the files I am supposed to upload is the MyBB 1.6 CSS file, so how do I keep all of my CSS changes?

If I have to overwrite all the existing copies of these files and folders, how is anything saved? How is this different from basically blowing everything out and installing a brand new setup of MyBB? Sorry if these are simple questions but I simply cannot risk making a mistake and breaking my forums.
(2010-12-06, 03:54 AM)Wimbledon Wrote: [ -> ]So I don't have to replace the smilies folder? Or the avatar folder? What folders and files must I replace? I notice that one of the files I am supposed to upload is the MyBB 1.6 CSS file, so how do I keep all of my CSS changes?

You don't need to upload the smilies or avatar folder if you don't want to.

The CSS for any custom themes won't be affected, only the default CSS is updated.

(2010-12-06, 03:54 AM)Wimbledon Wrote: [ -> ]If I have to overwrite all the existing copies of these files and folders, how is anything saved? How is this different from basically blowing everything out and installing a brand new setup of MyBB? Sorry if these are simple questions but I simply cannot risk making a mistake and breaking my forums.

Data is saved is the database, not the files - you're not overwriting any data just the files that make the forum function.
Uploading all the new files over the current files won't remove anything that's on the server but not in the new files (i.e. smilies, attachments) unless your FTP client has stupid settings. Uploading files does absolutely nothing to the database.
Ahh, now I understand how the database plays a part in this.

I'm going to give the upgrade a shot and see how it goes. I'll report back.

I appreciate your help!
First forum upgraded! Thanks for all the help!

That said, I've hit a few snags.

1) User CP is now much wider than the screen. I imagine this is because there is no CSS in my current theme that would place a max-width on the new user CP as the theme I'm using was originally a fluid layout theme written before the debut of MyBB 1.6. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this? Is it as simple as placing some max-width CSS somewhere? Anyone have any ideas which CSS IDs I should try modifying? I would really appreciate any experienced help with this!

Screenshot:

2) I'm not sure if this issue existed before the upgrade or whether it is a result of the upgrade. That said, I've just noticed it now.

If you navigate to this page or view the screenshot below:

Circled in red is a page navigation of some sort that is blank. Clicking each square takes you to a different page but it's only labeled in the button URLs. Anyone know how to fix this?
Regarding issue 2, I figured out that the CSS IDs controlling the color of the nav buttons is accessible under ".navigation".

Yet changing the text color causes the color of the other .navigation elements in my theme to change color as well.

How do I just change the color of the text (1,2,3, Next, etc) in those boxes? Anyone know the CSS IDs or know how to get them? The buttons are a little tricky and I cannot seem to nail down the right CSS IDs via Firebug.

Worst case, does anyone know how to just delete that pagination bar?
Any thoughts anyone?
Issue 1 is caused by a template from 1.4 being used the theme is a 1.4 theme if this is a custom theme you made you will need to revert the templates.
issue 2 is a class called .pagination that controls them boxes.
Thanks for the help! Your post enabled me to solve issue 2.

(2010-12-08, 10:01 PM)adbrad Wrote: [ -> ]Issue 1 is caused by a template from 1.4 being used the theme is a 1.4 theme if this is a custom theme you made you will need to revert the templates.

What exactly does this entail? Are there any tutorials out there or links I can read?
Well, it reverts the templates to default. ACP > Templates & Style > Templates > Find Updated Templates > this will be a list of all templates that have changed, you'll need to click Options > Revert to Original to get the default code back, or you can choose View Diff Report to see what's changed and what code you may have changed yourself. You're using a 1.4 theme on a 1.6 forum, it's not going to have any of the 1.6 features in it and may have a broken layout in places.
Pages: 1 2