MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: stop spammers from registering?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do I stop those auto spammers? They register and create their profiles in order to spam their urls there and in signatures.

HOW do they pass the damn captchas and everything? They are not manual, they use some kind of software.. How can software read the captcha? What can I do to cut those spammers? Maybe some advanced captcha?

Please help - 9 out of 10 new registrations are auto spammers
Install some plugins, like askimet to help stop them.
This looks decent: http://mods.mybb.com/view/javascript-bot-protection
Edit: Derek beat me D:
(2010-12-06, 03:33 AM)mybbfan Wrote: [ -> ]How do I stop those auto spammers? ...

This is still valid (From 2007), to stop most spam-bots:
Stopping spambots with hashes and honeypots
  • ...Spammers don't make software that can post to any form, they make software that can post to many forms....

>>> This article is mostly for comment spam, some of the ideas might help w/ registrations.
http://nedbatchelder.com/text/stopbots.html

(2010-12-06, 03:33 AM)mybbfan Wrote: [ -> ]...They are not manual...

Check (some of) the IP's, several countries actually have "Spam-shops" where low-paid humans sign-up to spam your forum.

There is also a StopForumSpam plugin that TimB. made. You could try installing that as well. Wink
(2010-12-06, 06:10 AM)Joshua Mayer Wrote: [ -> ]There is also a StopForumSpam plugin that TimB. made. You could try installing that as well. Wink

I need to look that up, thanks Joshua.
One more idea:

*This will (or should) stop ~99.999% of all spam-bots*
*and 100% of all people using screen-readers.

The innovation award-winning: DHTML and CSS CAPTCHA

Shortly I will be offering forum registration protection from spam bots for MyBB. It is currently available for SMF. However I have abandoned SMF.

In the meantime I can send you a Desktop app. seen below. It allows you to query the top spam bot lists (free).

[Image: inhat.jpg]

email me for the attachment.
Found couple ideas on another forum:

1)Switch your registration fields around. Make ones that are labeled e-mail, but have the name "firstname", things of that nature. Make sure the changed field is something you have to validate(so you can detect something filling it in wrong).

2)Have an extra input on the registration form(named after a field you're not using) as type "text". Jquery that blueberry and change it to "hidden" on page load. Anything filling it out is a bot.

What do you think about them?