MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Will this work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just ordered a hard disc on for my server, the one that I got that was oolldd.

a) Can I run CentOS on a server with 16mb ram? Or will I need to shell out for some more

b) Is there any way to assign an external IP address to a server inside a router?

c) Is there any way to do a port rewrite on a domain? To make www.wxyz.com:80 direct to :90?

Thanks!

Zack Magee
(2010-12-07, 08:37 PM)Zack Magee Wrote: [ -> ]b) Is there any way to assign an external IP address to a server inside a router?

Why would you want to? Most routers use NAT anyway
(2010-12-07, 08:37 PM)Zack Magee Wrote: [ -> ]a) Can I run CentOS on a server with 16mb ram? Or will I need to shell out for some more

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Global...tform.html
(2010-12-07, 08:37 PM)Zack Magee Wrote: [ -> ]I just ordered a hard disc on for my server, the one that I got that was oolldd.

a) Can I run CentOS on a server with 16mb ram? Or will I need to shell out for some more

b) Is there any way to assign an external IP address to a server inside a router?

c) Is there any way to do a port rewrite on a domain? To make www.wxyz.com:80 direct to :90?

Thanks!

Zack Magee

a) Even if you manage to put on it a striped out version, theres not much you'll be able to do with such little ram

b) You can assign it, but it won't work, you can use NAT for this

c) I think it depends on your domain manager, I know for a fact that no-ip has this feature/ability, not sure about the other domain managers. If theres another way to do it then someone else can enlighten us here.

(2010-12-07, 09:07 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]a) Even if you manage to put on it a striped out version, theres not much you'll be able to do with such little ram

b) You can assign it, but it won't work, you can use NAT for this

c) I think it depends on your domain manager, I know for a fact that no-ip has this feature/ability, not sure about the other domain managers. If theres another way to do it then someone else can enlighten us here.

a) it would most likely be for serving html pages :p

b) Ok, thanks

c) I use NameCheap. I'll take a look at no-ip.
Why would you want to use port 90?
For C you just use your router to do port forwarding. Source port of 80, destination port of 90. Common thing.
(2010-12-07, 10:01 PM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]Why would you want to use port 90?

(2010-12-07, 10:02 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]For C you just use your router to do port forwarding. Source port of 80, destination port of 90. Common thing.

My ISP blocks port 80
Ok, then you're asking about something different. Which is fine... most domain name services will be able handle this for you. Its called a PROXY address record.

From my DNS Manager ( www.omnis.com ):
Quote:PROXY
PROXY is not a standard DNS record type. This is a special record type for the Proxy service. PROXY records work by transparently proxying request for a hostname to another hostname. A PROXY record is simply an A recond that is used for URL Proxying. Proxying would be useful for someone who wants to host their web site on their home machine but their ISP blocks the standard web port. The customer can then setup a web server on an open port, with the address of http://their.address.at.home.com:8080 and then point a PROXY record of www.theirdomain.com to that address, and users browsing that site would never see the real address of the web server in their browser. The PROXY record type accepts a valid http URL as the content

You don't have to use 8080, that is an example. In your case you want 90... though personally I would suggest 38080, since its outside the common port scan ranges. More secure this way.
Or 45067 if you're a little immature like me (lol base 16 Toungue ).
Anybody know of a distro that's command line only, and will allow me to run apache on about 80mb ram? (144 is the most I can get. )
Pages: 1 2