MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Move to new hoster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What steps must i do to move complete Forum to new Hoster, with new Database?

How can i transfer Datatbase dorekt from Hoster A to Hoster B?

Thanks for any Idears!

Sepp

P.S.: Forum works verry Well, hope that german Language will be availabe soon.
ok, first, get the latest files from your forum folder on hoster 1 and save them on your computer. Then upload to hoster 2. Change config.php to the right details of you new server (username, password, database name, localhost etc). Then make sure settings.php and config.php are comaded properly.

Next, if using phpMyAdmin(?), go to the database you have all you forum db files in. If you click the right one, you should see mybb_adminlog, mybb_adminoptions, and mybb_announcements or simalar as the top three on the right. If so, up above, click Export.

Depending on what version you are running, click Select All, then click Structure and data, save as file (no compression), then Go. Download the file it gives you to your computer.

Then login into hoster 2 phpMyAdmin. Make sure you have the same table name. And go there. You should have nothing in it. If you do have something in it about myBB, delete it as mySQL will complain about not upgrading right or something. Moving on..... Click SQL up the top. Using the browse button, find the file you downloaded from hoster 1 then click Go (no compression).

If it goes ok, go test your forum. If it doesn't work, let us know.
I'm not sure about you, but I would just make a backup of your database, and install mybb rc 4 into your new hoster and insert the old database you had.
it would be verry fine if tehre is any way to move database direkt from hoser old to the new one.
i only have only isdn, and much uploads in Forum. So it will need hours to to like you sayed.
Thanks for the Tipps!

Sepp
There is no "Direct" transfer of your database. YOu have to export your database from your old host and install mybb from your new one and upload your database from there.
Not true. You have a few options without it going through your computer. The most likely ones are either:

One: use phpmyadmin to save the sql data to a file. Then use a php script on the second server to download the file and execute it. As far as I can see this stage can't be done in phpmyadmin, but if you need help i can code the relevant file to make that transfer.

Two: save the sql data to a file as before. If you don't fancy the prospects of having a publicly downloadable copy of the database on your server, make sure that the destination server can accept mysql connections from the current server, and execute the contents of the sql file by connecting directly to that host.
Lobster Wrote:Not true. You have a few options without it going through your computer. The most likely ones are either:

One: use phpmyadmin to save the sql data to a file. Then use a php script on the second server to download the file and execute it. As far as I can see this stage can't be done in phpmyadmin, but if you need help i can code the relevant file to make that transfer.

Two: save the sql data to a file as before. If you don't fancy the prospects of having a publicly downloadable copy of the database on your server, make sure that the destination server can accept mysql connections from the current server, and execute the contents of the sql file by connecting directly to that host.

Rolleyes

Do you really think the average Joe is able to create a PHP file that does what you said? Or know about this AT ALL? Personally, I wouldn't really want to go through the trouble of putting the database on the server and *hoping* that my new webserver can accept mysql connections from other servers.

As the saying goes, why walk when you can bike?