MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PayPal Alternatives
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi all.

I'm seriously considering moving away from PayPal. I'm currently in a dispute right now (as well as a few times before) where people buy a theme, then dispute the transaction as unauthorized. For the past 2, the buyer doesn't even respond. This one I'm hoping for better results but the hell with PayPal if it doesn't. These cases always seem to end up in me getting scammed, out a theme, and out the money. Thank goodness they're only premades.

Anyways, I'm looking for alternatives. I would still like to be able to accept PayPal, but with none of this chargeback/dispute crap. I'd imagine this would be an expensive change for us if we go through with it, so it might not happen soon if at all but I'd like to hear your suggestions.

Criteria;

- Reasonable usage fees
- IPN-like system (to allow for automatic processing). Not required but a plus.
- No chargebacks/disputes/stupid TOS
- Trustworthy

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I'll keep everyone in the know regarding my issues with this. Smile
A lot of people have been using money brookers but I'm not sure how good it is.
If you know which site is using the theme, could you send a DMCA to their host? I guess the hard part is figuring out which sites are using it without permission.

And yeah, PayPal seems to have no seller protection. That's one of the big reasons why I'm going to be selling through ShopMyBB, they get to deal with the crap, and I don't.
I intend on integrating some tracking methods as a post-problem solution, though I'd still like to take preventative measures. I should mention that the payment processor needs to support Canadian & UK withdrawing, or cheque I suppose.
AlertPay is a perfect competitor for PayPal. However, you cannot accept money from PayPal.

I have ever encountered a payment processor which accepts PayPal but has entry fee of $49.
Scoutie, do you have any legal documents for your themes (TOS, AUP, etc...)? If not I would consider writing one up. It doesn't have to be huge or filled with legalese but just include something similar to the following line (I used this for my ebook when I was selling it and I won both of the chargebacks I had received during that time):

Quote:All payments are non-refundable due to the nature of the products. You cannot dispute or request a refund of any payment. Under extreme circumstances <website/company name> may agree to profide a full or partial refund.

Oh, you're problem is for the "unauthorized" transactions. Hmm, there are some methods you win such chargebacks but most aren't worth the time or money you'd be saving. What you can do is require them to send an e-mail from the e-mail account registered on Paypal to confirm they made the purchase, I would think this would surfice.

One method that a lot of web hosting companies do now to prevent disputes is to actually mail something to the buyer. Normally they will physically send a welcome postcard in the mail with a brief message about their account (i.e. "Thanks for choosing Webhostingcompany, Firstname!"). Delivery confirmation costs between $0.19 and $0.80 for USPS, YMMV. If you provide Paypal with a tracking number/delivery confirmation, you win. Big Grin
That's what my dad suggested too but it's too cumbersome for me. Anyways, I woke up to a nice email stating that they couldn't find eudence of unauthorized activity and thus no money was lost Smile I think my threat to take my business elsewhere hit a soft spot Wink
You could demand buyers pay as a gift as there cannot be any disputes over gift payments afaik
(2010-12-08, 02:39 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]You could demand buyers pay as a gift as there cannot be any disputes over gift payments afaik

I don't know much about IPN, but i don't think you can use the IPN system as a gift.
Pages: 1 2 3 4