MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: User Mark/Star Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got inspired for this idea while browsing my board on my phone and wishing there was some way to quickly mark a topic so I could respond to it later, as I didn't feel like typing a giant post on my phone. So why not a marking system like Gmail?

[Image: oNZjm.png]

People have asked for ways to "favourite" topics before without subscribing to them, but I think this is a way that is very simple and provides a really useful functionality. You could sort your favourite threads and have them all at a glance. I don't think many people actually subscribe to topics anymore except for help boards; not to say subscriptions should be removed, but this is a simpler and more useful option for most forum users.

Maybe some others can elaborate on this idea to make it even more useful. What do you think?

PS. Would be good for PMs as well haha
Not a bad idea, but in some browsers like FireFox there is an star for "Bookmarking" in the address bar. So you can use that for Bookmarking etc.
(2010-12-08, 05:03 PM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]Not a bad idea, but in some browsers like FireFox there is an star for "Bookmarking" in the address bar. So you can use that for Bookmarking etc.

I'm not sure what your point is. Users shouldn't have to make a hard bookmark of every thread they want to check up on ...
imo all you really need to do is add a shortcut to the subscribe feature, and automatically set it for no email notification. As far as I can see the only limitation here is that it's cumbersome to add subscriptions.

No need to reinvent the wheel imo.
Edit: Should mention the subscription functionality should be extended, too. Such as allowing for contact via PM rather than email and displaying when new replies are made in the welcomeblock (or something). A generalized alert section would be nice.
Thats a very sound suggestion, and I've wished for the same myself. I check MyBB a number of times during the day and at times from a mobile device or at times from work and at that time I may not be in a position to write a post and a feature like this would surely be helpful. Right now I just have to make a mental note which I usually forget Smile

If I get time I may look in to doing this as a plugin.
I think this would be really useful. For example, I usually forget that I replied to a thread or where it is located Toungue

I'm guessing this would be a bit like Gmail favorites feature?
(2010-12-09, 03:39 PM)combus Wrote: [ -> ]I'm guessing this would be a bit like Gmail favorites feature?

Yep.
I'm coding a similar plugin on this request, and will finish it up in few days. Here is a thread to get Updates about this plugin: http://community.mybb.com/thread-94993.html
Very cool. Looking forward to it.