MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I'm making a Star Wars forum.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to create a Star Wars message board, but I'm not sure what forum software I should use. I like vBulletin, but I'm not going to pay $175 ($285 for premium) for it, especially since I'm currently unemployed. I like InvisionFree and ZetaBoards, but ZetaBoards doesn't look very professional, and InvisionFree doesn't have a couple of the features I like. I also like MyBB, but but the only free hosting company I like (x10hosting) has a lot of downtime and is really a hassle when setting up a domain (which I still haven't figured out how to do with x10hosting). I plan on this Star Wars forum being really popular and look very nice and professional. Is it really worth spending a lot of money getting really good forum software, a good hosting company, and a domain? Me and one of my friends made our own forum once, and it's a nice little friendly active community, but it's run on ZetaBoards, whereas I want this Star Wars forum to be huge with thousands of active members. What do you recommend? Thanks in advance.
I'll recommend you to start from here: http://createbb.com/
(2010-12-09, 04:16 PM)D3stiny Wrote: [ -> ]Is it really worth spending a lot of money getting really good forum software, a good hosting company, and a domain? Me and one of my friends made our own forum once, and it's a nice little friendly active community, but it's run on ZetaBoards, whereas I want this Star Wars forum to be huge with thousands of active members. What do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Software depends on your needs. If MyBB meets them why buy vB?

A good hosting company I would recommend to anyone who wants to run a successful site for a long time. It's not that expensive there are plenty of good shared hosts that are the cost of meal at McDonalds every month.

A domain again something I would recommend to people who plan on running a popular site eventually(but honestly who doesn't Toungue). It's $10 or so dollars a year and gives you a name that should be easy to remember. And, if you do get big you don't have to worry about switching everything over to a domain when you need to later and messing up your visitors.

Eat the startup costs they aren't that much. That's my advice.