MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Should I move from PHPBB3 to MYBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am thinking of moving my forum from PHPBB3 to MYBB but have some questions.

I had my forum using YABB software. The forum was doing well in google with over 100 visitors a day from google.co.uk alone.

I deeply regret moving forum for YABB to PHBB3 I have to manually move over 250 messages and 70 members.

My site is concerning ESA medical exam and since moving (20th October) that search term is not coming up in google in first 200 and I was getting no visitors from google until last week when I set up three html pages with links to forum two of which rank number 7 and twelve in google.co.uk.
My forum has over 550 posts almost all concerning ESA medical.

I have done everything I could with PHPBB3 including submitting to webmasters (Yahoo, bing and webmaster). I also set up sitemaps and did the meta tags

My question is would things be better in google if I migrated to MYBB (I am not comfortable with mods).?

Would MYBB3 show up in google?

Is the migration progress easy for a novice.

I await your replies and am desperate to get away from PHPBB3 and your migration is one of the few choices available.
There is no such version called MyBB 3.0.

phpBB is horrible for SEO. MyBB has good SEO and there is a large amount of mods available for you to use Smile

The Merge System will help to move your forum. See here: http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Merge_System
I would personally suggest you to use MyBB when you think that you've choosed a better product for your website. Otherwise, if you didn't like MyBB at sometimes, then you would regret of that upgrade.

<offtopic>How beautiful cat is in your avatar Toungue</offtopic>
As long as MYBB will perform better in google without seo mods I will have to merge. I was interested in seo mod but dont have a clue about below except I know I do have Mysql and PHP5.

This plugin requires Apache with mod_rewrite, MySQL, PHP with mbstring, and MyBB 1.4 with UTF-8 encoding. MySQL 5, PHP 5 is highly recommended. Unfortunately, one core file has to be modified to make SEO URLs work.

I'll give it a day and see if I received more replies.

I wish I could be sure the MYBB will perform better than PHBB3 in google without mods
99.9999+% of servers support the SEO plugin. mod_rewrite is very popular.
If you're unsure that if will work just install a test forum and activate the SEO plugin/ or the friendly URLS in Admin cp and see if works fine Smile
And yes, you should use MyBB ^^
Thakyou, all appears well in my world of MYBB!