MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Shoutbox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering who uses a shoutbox on their forum.

Does it produce much over head?
What plugin did you install?

I'm thinking of installing one.
I dislike shoutboxes, they take attention away from the forum. I remember when the Mybb community debated on shoutboxes... What an adventure that was.
If you have one in the header, that refreshed every 5 seconds, and you have 100 people on the forum at any one time, including guests, that's 2000 AJAX requests a minute. Even if you have it refresh every 15 seconds and have 50 people online, it's 200 AJAX requests a minute. If you're on a shared host they're probably not going to be too happy with that.

Plus they detract from the whole point of you installing a forum in the first place, which is to have discussions.
Not the best idea then. I think i'll go without it.
(2010-12-11, 11:02 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]If you have one in the header, that refreshed every 5 seconds, and you have 100 people on the forum at any one time, including guests, that's 2000 AJAX requests a minute. Even if you have it refresh every 15 seconds and have 50 people online, it's 200 AJAX requests a minute. If you're on a shared host they're probably not going to be too happy with that.

Plus they detract from the whole point of you installing a forum in the first place, which is to have discussions.
Exactly my point, it takes away the point of the forum.

Good choice, it won't make much of a difference. Wink
Shoutboxes are amazing if used just for shouting Toungue

Just make sure people don't "discuss" there.

I would recommend the one made by spicefuse.