MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Running MyBB locally
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I like to test things out before i implement them into my main website. At the moment i'm using a different domain, which has a different install of MyBB but i'm also going to start developing themes for MyBB.

I know it's possible, i'd like to have MyBB installed locally. It'd be in a Virtual Machine, dedicated just for MyBB and it's development.

I was wondering what route to take.

Thank you.
do you have a home computer not in use because you can use xammp and then use ftp to connect to that computer and the admin cp to edit.
Virtual machine?? For a localhost installation?? Rather extreme. You don't need to use FTP if it's a localhost, it just uses your computer's standard file system.
I'd like to have it separate from this install.

I do have a spare machine, yes. But i'd prefer it locally over having to power that up - i have a separate desktop that just runs VMs.
(2010-12-11, 11:55 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Virtual machine?? For a localhost installation?? Rather extreme. You don't need to use FTP if it's a localhost, it just uses your computer's standard file system.

Yeah i know but if he wanted to add files from another computer.
Just use xampp...
(2010-12-11, 11:57 PM)MarkW7 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to have it separate from this install.

I do have a spare machine, yes. But i'd prefer it locally over having to power that up - i have a separate desktop that just runs VMs.

It would be separate, you can install as many forums as you like, I have about 12 on my localhost.

Why you want to run a test forum in a VM is beyond me Undecided That's going to use far more of your computer's resources than just using XAMPP.
I think OP wants to install another OS via a VM (if I'm interpreting this correctly), however that doesn't make any sense. Use xampp if you're using Windows. Install MySQL, PHP, and Apache if you're using Linux.
Get old PC. Install Ubuntu server. ??? Profit.
Yeah and then if you do not know how to install things on linux, use xampp and you are good to go. You do not vps unless you really want one, which by all means make the server a vps holder and create a vps on it.
Pages: 1 2 3