MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Shoutbox - Use or Lose
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I remember a few months ago the Mybb community had this awesome debate on shoutboxes. So, I think it'd be nice to see what everyone thinks now that we have so many member.

So, shoutboxes a use or a lose? (Vote in the poll)

My Opinion:

Pros:
Easy to talk with other members, about short conversations.

Cons:
-If you're forum has a lot of users visting it constantly the shoutbox will be a PAIN.
-It takes the point of a forum away.
-It takes posts away (due to users just shouting.)
-It requires more attention

Why does it take the point of a forum away?
-A forum is for typing up discussions with other users on different topics, and interacting with everyone. Not trolling a shoutbox with "lol coolstorybro". Wink

Note: Please post a reply to defend your opinion. Flaming, spamming, and off-topic comments will be reported. This is just some healthy debate. If you abuse my request then I'll ask you not even bother posting/voting.

Thanks!
I used a shoutbox at gfxf for a short period a few weeks ago. The link wasn't visible until you hover over 'useful links'. Many members found it, but my dislike for shoutboxes made me remove it.

The only pro is that members may become friends quicker. The many cons overrule that.
Definitely lose, it is the point of the forum to have people posting, and talking through well, posts, not a shout box. Plus it is yet one more thing to moderate.

The cons overpower the pros. or overrule them.
I highly agree with both of you.
Lose. It only works for communities, not forums.
Very good point, Mark. Wink
Lose, unless you're starting a chat room / not a forum Toungue
The shoutbox offers very little while taking away a whole lot. The only benefit it has is potential speed of response. For things not worth starting a whole thread over you could just do what iPodWizard does: We have "The Spam Thread" which is for things that you want to say but don't deserve a thread. Discussion ambles about organically just like a shoutbox, but it's more persistent. Plus it helps make the forum seem more active. We keep an eye on it of course...
Yeah, that'd be the best idea.