MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to move a post from one Forum topic to a different topic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is there a way to move a post made by a member from any incorrect topic to another that is appropriate? If yes, please instruct. Using 1.6 and not able to install the upgrade to 1.61

Thanks,

BATR
Split the post into a new thread, then merge it with the other thread.
Spit (does that mean copy and paste into a new thread under the topic where I would want to to appear?) then do a merge? I will have to review how to merge, never done one.

Started a new thread to ask the same question on http://community.mybb.com/thread-81926.html
http://community.mybb.com/thread-84315.html

Last just got the notice to upgrade from 1.6 to 1.61. Not able to install. Can open the zip file but I get a format that has no exe install function. I do not want to make a mess, after reading the the help instructions. Using SiteGround hosting. I could ask them for help on the upgrade.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,
BATR
Splitting and merging are inbuilt functions. Select what posts you want to split off via the inline post moderation and choose Split Posts from the Inline Post Moderation menu at the bottom of the thread. Then merge the threads via the inline thread moderation on the forum display.

And there is no .exe file, this isn't a Windows program Undecided Read this: [Wiki: Upgrading] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)

Backup your database, upload the contents of the changed files package from the blog so the files inside it overwrite your current files, go to yoursite.com/install/upgrade.php and choose 1.6 from the list.
(2010-12-16, 02:54 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]Split the post into a new thread, then merge it with the other thread.

Bumping this. I can't believe you can't move posts from one thread to another directly. This is some really hackneyed functionality; there should be an option to do this when you select "Split Posts".
That's not the way of splitting BTW. Splitting will split the post and make a thread, then move it to another forum of your choice, and then finally merge that thread to another.
(2010-12-27, 05:51 AM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]That's not the way of splitting BTW. Splitting will split the post and make a thread, then move it to another forum of your choice, and then finally merge that thread to another.

Uh what? Why would you have to move it to another forum? The directions given worked perfectly.
(2010-12-26, 09:44 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-16, 02:54 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]Split the post into a new thread, then merge it with the other thread.

Bumping this. I can't believe you can't move posts from one thread to another directly. This is some really hackneyed functionality; there should be an option to do this when you select "Split Posts".

Megabump!!! There is common situation on my forum: users often writes on wrong topic\thread... so every time i need to split threads then open another thread, choose "merge", copy thread url which i want to merge... this is nightmare!

There MUST BE direct and quick option to just move posts from one thread to another in one click! "Just choose posts, press MOVE and select thread where to move them".
It wouldn't be possible to do it in one click, as you'd have to past the URL of the destination thread in, like when you merge threads.
At least the need to remove extra operations: splitting and merging threads.

That's how it must be: "Just choose posts, press MOVE and select thread (from the list of threads or paste url) where to move them".

I just don't understand why do some extra operations when you need move a message (which user post by mistake in a wrong thread) from one topic to another.
Pages: 1 2