MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Basic Central
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Quote: I did some tests and I noticed that in general bots and crawlers had more trouble indexing a tabbed index than a regular.

That's ridiculous and completely not true. Are you going to say HF has bad SEO?

What's important is how you sort and order your forums because bots will see your site without javascript. I advise you test your site on a browser with JS disabled to see how a bot would see your site. You should do this anyways as it's a good SEO practice.

I will say that if you only have under 20 forums you're not likely to need tabs. I don't run them on all my forums. Only the ones where I need them. Looking at your site...you just don't need them for that short of a list.

Tabs are more about organizing large forum structures than trying to be cool. Go take a look at HF if it didn't have tabs. You'll freak out.
You Use "Coder Green" as your header and a random theme as your footer,

1 being yellow and 1 bright green (not attractive)

And theres no need for Huge forum icons not to mention 2 of them each
(2010-12-17, 06:15 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I advise you test your site on a browser with JS disabled to see how a bot would see your site.

Yeah, thanks for the tip, I'll have a look like this.

(2010-12-17, 07:35 AM)iTzEvaN Wrote: [ -> ]You Use "Coder Green" as your header and a random theme as your footer,

1 being yellow and 1 bright green (not attractive)

And theres no need for Huge forum icons not to mention 2 of them each

No, I just used Coder Green, the footer is not from another theme. I thought the icons were looking good 48x48...

(2010-12-17, 06:15 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote: I did some tests and I noticed that in general bots and crawlers had more trouble indexing a tabbed index than a regular.

That's ridiculous and completely not true. Are you going to say HF has bad SEO?
I never accused any sites of having bad SEO nor saying that any forum who uses tabs have bad SEO. I argued and am still arguing that for a starting site that hasn't been indexed before that in most cases using the tab system could slow down or interfere with indexing your forum. From my tests I concluded that a site with or without will both get indexed in the end but that the one that didn't use the tab system thus not using the JS got indexed faster and easier.

Of course tons of other variables and factors have a role in this and I find it a weak argument to say that the HackForums might have bad SEO due to the tab system as I highly doubt that. That doesn't mean that the tab system has or had no effect on it's SEO but because so far from what I know that the HackForums is a pretty popular forum that has tons of active users and gets tons of daily hits meaning that the possibility that the tab system has any influence on your forum is minimum.

I do still think that you should always keep things such as the tab system that requires JS in mind when thinking about SEO and how you want to get your forum indexed and as you already suggested you should look at your forum without JS if you are using features that require JS.
(2010-12-19, 09:15 PM)The Elite Wrote: [ -> ]I would have been happy if you put:

"Inspired by The Elite" with a link to RuneGear.net on The Elite.

I did
I'll be joining as i want to learn some VB. And to the rest, stop arguing xD.
Ive actually created a web browser in vb a while back , take a look if you like Big Grin
(2010-12-19, 09:59 PM)Janota Wrote: [ -> ]Ive actually created a web browser in vb a while back , take a look if you like Big Grin

Post this on http://basiccentral.net if you wish. It would be great & will surely inspire some of our members.
Ill sign up later on , ive got tons of stuff , advanced login systems etc...
I will be spamming your site next week.
Pages: 1 2 3