MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Some hosting and MySQL questions.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First of all, I would like to thank you guys for these awesome forums, really helped me out. Smile

I'll confess, I'm new to creating and setting up forums. I've been a moderator in a couple of forums but now I've decided to create my own. And I'm going with MyBB. I'm impressed by its offerings and the support.

I have a few questions that have been haunting me for a few days now.

1) What is this difference between limited MySQL and unlimited MySQL? I've spotted this in a few hosting sites. Some offer 10, 25 MySQL database while some offer unlimited.

2) Is there a difference in using an international hosting service compared to local hosting service? I'm living in Malaysia, South-East Asia and there are a few hosting providers here but the price is expensive. Around 65 US dollars here for local hosting compared to around <20 dollars for an international hosting with all unlimited options. I've read somewhere that living in country A and purchasing hosting from a provider at country B gives you a 'slower speed' compared to using a local host.

3) Do I have to download or have any other programs in order to install MyBB? Or I just need a hosting provider and the MyBB files to set up my forum?

5) How do I backup my forum and its contents?

I had another question in my head but it got lost on its way to my fingers.

Thanks in advance! Big Grin

*EDIT*

What is the difference between cPanel and DirectAdmin?
1) The number of sql databases are hosting offers, might depend on the host you chose and the price you selected.

2) See this article, its comparison between South Africa and Germany but might give you some hint what's the difference in between them.

3) You just have to download MyBB from here: http://www.mybb.com/downloads/ , upload the files to your server and install. To configure or install Mybb, try to see this wiki: http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Installing

4) You didn't added question # 4 Toungue

5) You can backup either from the hosting CPanel or from the Admin Control Panel: http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Database_Backup

If you have Direct Admin, you are on the new server, I like Direct Admin better, I don't know why, I just do, Cpanel has the ability (Though mine never worked) to install scripts like MyBB and all that without you having to download them, Direct Admin doesn't.

There really is no difference between directAdmin and cPanel. The only thing is fantastico(which is only for people who don't like manually installing things)
Thanks for the reply.

1) Does the number of mysql database affect the forum? I mean whats the difference in having unlimited mysql database compared to limited one, say 25?

Im planning on going with Direct Admin based since its name says that Im the direct admin.

Thanks in advance :-D

The number of databases doesn't effect the website / forum's performance. Don't worry if you have any less or more sql databases. Wink
Thanks Yaldaram.

This is probably unrelated but is a 40 gb (18gb web, 2gb database, 20gb email) hosting space and 100 gb (80gb web, 20gb email) data transfer ideal for a forum of 10k+ members? This hosting plan seems to be the only one I can afford as a student.

Yes its enough for such requirements Smile
Thank you very much, Yaldaram. Appreciate it.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE5KpqRyuGOzue7J2IOag...aksNzbfbiA]

Have a nice day Big Grin

Don't forget to hit the solve button please Smile