MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Deactivating Plugins - Required?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have like 50 some plugins and most of which when I deactivate I will loose all the plugin data and settings I have saved. Is it required to deactivate them, and what will happen if I don't?
Plugin's de-activation is required when you are going to "Upgrade" your forum. If you didn't de-activated then your forum might lose there settings etc.
Not once have I ever had to deactivate a plugin to do a minor upgrade. I've done so on 1.2->1.4x and 1.4x->1.6x but that's it.

MyBB might recommend you turn off plugins but we now have a slew of good authors making good plugins that do not interfere with normal MyBB operation. The biggest thing is after an upgrade to run the template update check just in case templates were edited. But that's usually not a problem either.
I think the upgrade wiki is in need of a bit of an overhaul.
(2010-12-17, 06:06 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Not once have I ever had to deactivate a plugin to do a minor upgrade. I've done so on 1.2->1.4x and 1.4x->1.6x but that's it.

Same here. I have quite a lot of plugins and I've never had a problem leaving them active while doing a minor upgrade.
(2010-12-17, 09:22 AM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-17, 06:06 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Not once have I ever had to deactivate a plugin to do a minor upgrade. I've done so on 1.2->1.4x and 1.4x->1.6x but that's it.

Same here. I have quite a lot of plugins and I've never had a problem leaving them active while doing a minor upgrade.

Thanks so much, both of you Big Grin And I will do a template-check as well because I have made several template edits. Once I'm done upgrading I will mark as solved.
(2010-12-17, 05:28 AM)DannysForum Wrote: [ -> ]I have like 50 some plugins and most of which when I deactivate I will loose all the plugin data and settings I have saved. Is it required to deactivate them, and what will happen if I don't?

Well, your plugin authors shouldn't be using deactivate to remove the settings. That belongs in uninstall. You should try and get them to change their plugins. While I also did it using the activate/deactivate when I first started writing plugins, I quickly switched to using the install/uninstall. People tend to hate losing their settings simply for deactivating.

In my opinion I don't think we should allow plugins on the mods site unless they make proper use of the functions. Install/Uninstall are for adding/removing from the db (such as settings). Activate/Deactivate are for things such as automated template edits and such. But once again this is just an opinion.
I have deactivated my 60+ plugins for transferring my site to another host, as stated in the tutorial in forum..!! But now i have lost all the data..!! then a man tells me that there is no major need to deactivate plugins while transferring/moving hosts..!!
This was not a good experience..!!
I don't know what will happen if you don't deactivate while upgrading and is it necessary, but want to know this in this threas..!!
You don't need to deactivate plugins to move host either.
I plan on personally overhauling for 1.6x all my plugins to utilize install/uninstall functions.

Quote:I think the upgrade wiki is in need of a bit of an overhaul.

Probably. Should be a recommendation with a caveat.