MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: RSS News Feeds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not sure if this is the correct spot to post this so please feel free to move it to the correct place.
I'm using MyBB 1.6 as the forum of choice and so far, with the help I've received perusing the various MyBB forums it's been pretty much a piece of cake to get things working.
However, I have not found information pertinent to what I want to accomplish, adding RSS news feeds from an outside source.
I would think I could set up one forum to use html coding and disallow posting on that forum and I have been able to get news feed widgets somewhat working but there are three feeds I'd like to have going but with the script typed in for the three widgets only one widget shows. The other script shows only the lines of code.
Any Ideas? Or, am I completely out to lunch on this?
Something like this maybe
http://mods.mybb.com/view/rss-to-post

it does rss to post, i don't know what else to say about it, I have no idea whether it does html, but i assume it does not.

You can disallow posting of that forum by going to the forums settings and removing create thread or post from the user permissions.
Thanks Matt. I did see that but I don't want the feeder to post a new thread upon each new feed, rather have one forum set up with a news feeder so there's only one page of news. Preferably a widget.
Here's a page with the three widgets or news feeds I'd like to feed.

Maybe I have to dig deeper into the forum page coding???
So you want the latest updates from your rss feed

What if you use
http://feed.mikle.com/en/?gclid=CNuS5rTp...KgodqA0ZpA

and then implace the code into your index template under

Admin CP --> Templates & Style --> Templates --> *expand your template set* --> Index Page Templates --> index.

and find
{$header}
add the code afterward with a br tag. This will work, might not look that great but will do the job.
I have used both RSS to Post and RSS Feed Poster and prefer the latter. Here is the link to it: http://mods.mybb.com/view/rss-feed-poster

There are no current plugins that will post a feed to a single thread (though it is a current request). I think its better to have one thread per feed item, then you can prune the forum of older threads over time if you want. Its much harder to get a single thread to be pruned.
OK, it looks like we're on the right track Matt. That worked and looked fine but I'd like to have the widgets showing in one particular forum rather than where it showed up and I cannot find it.
(2010-12-18, 03:15 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]I have used both RSS to Post and RSS Feed Poster and prefer the latter. Here is the link to it: http://mods.mybb.com/view/rss-feed-poster

There are no current plugins that will post a feed to a single thread (though it is a current request). I think its better to have one thread per feed item, then you can prune the forum of older threads over time if you want. Its much harder to get a single thread to be pruned.

Thank you for the information pavemen. The reason I want to get the widgets working for the one forum is simply because they self prune. I could well put one widget in it's own thread in the one forum I want to set up for the news feeds but I think I'll have better success with more people seeing all three widgets in one thread/forum rather than have to look at three different threads in the news forum.

It looked to me that I'd need to set up a user strictly for the posting bot if I were to use the feed poster and if I cannot get the widgets going as I wish I suppose that's an alternative but I'd have to try get three bots going because I have, at this time, three feeds I want to use. Am I right on that?
Okay so if you want it on every single page you would have to put it under

Admin CP -> Templates & Style -> Templates -> expand your template set -> Ungrouped Templates -> headerinclude

and add it at the very bottom
I use the RSS Feed Poster now with a user I created specifically for this with admin and HTML permissions. I use this same 'bot' for every RSS Feed.

If you look at my forum (linked in sig) you will see that there is a "Land Use Issues" forum and I have specific subforums for the various feeds I pull. My purpose is to disseminate information that impacts my niche and users. These subforums are linked to my portal/homepage so the latest 5 items are shown automatically. THey also show up in the View New Posts and other searches.

The items get viewed regularly, well at least the descriptive thread titles are readily available for use.

If you feed to a single thread, the title never changes and thus your users will never see the new items unless they read the actual thread. Using new threads for each item at least puts the title out there for each one.

I use the same "PS-Bot" user for feeding my eBay forum.
(2010-12-18, 03:31 PM)Matt G Wrote: [ -> ]Okay so if you want it on every single page you would have to put it under

Admin CP -> Templates & Style -> Templates -> expand your template set -> Ungrouped Templates -> headerinclude

Matt, only one page/thread, or preferably have the rss news feed widget be the only thread in one forum.

(2010-12-18, 05:05 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]I use the RSS Feed Poster now with a user I created specifically for this with admin and HTML permissions. I use this same 'bot' for every RSS Feed.

If you look at my forum (linked in sig) you will see that there is a "Land Use Issues" forum and I have specific subforums for the various feeds I pull. My purpose is to disseminate information that impacts my niche and users. These subforums are linked to my portal/homepage so the latest 5 items are shown automatically. THey also show up in the View New Posts and other searches.

The items get viewed regularly, well at least the descriptive thread titles are readily available for use.

If you feed to a single thread, the title never changes and thus your users will never see the new items unless they read the actual thread. Using new threads for each item at least puts the title out there for each one.

I use the same "PS-Bot" user for feeding my eBay forum.

pavemen, Thanks. Looks like a quite informative site.
Have a look, http://vasvw.org/forum/. I have a widget working just above the primary category but I'd like to get that widget, or something similar working within the VA notifications Forum or within a separate category with the widget the only item there, as a lone thread. So, if you take your Forums in 'Land Use Issues' category, where you have your Blue Ribbon Coalition Feeds forum I would want that to be the widget, or as a second choice, have the widget as the lone thread within that forum.
The news feeds coming through the widget are updated when the news is released so the older feeds drop off.

(2010-12-18, 03:31 PM)Matt G Wrote: [ -> ]Okay so if you want it on every single page you would have to put it under

Oh, Matt, the problem with that is the location of the widget. That would certainly be an option if I can get it to place it where the existing functional widget is but progress to each page.

EDIT!
I did find a spot to put the widget that shows in, essentially, the same position of the functional widget and it progress to each page so for the time being it will work. there is a small issue with the users browsing list showing in an odd place but I can live with that until a permanent install is accomplished.
Thanks again. I'll look forward to additional advice.

Bill
UPDATE!

I don't know if things were changed in the forum coding but I have been able to insert RSS feeds into the body of an individual thread. While not fully solved and it looks like they must be in iframe to work but my primary goal had been accomplished so I'll mark this solved.

I want to thank everyone who responded for their direction and advise.