MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Programming without knowing math?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2010-12-18, 06:52 PM)Nayar Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-18, 06:50 PM)Zack Magee Wrote: [ -> ]I can barely add 2+2 but I am a pretty good programmer.
Maths is not about arithmetic calculations. Its well above that Wink

Calculators are made for the purpose you stated above Wink

It was a joke Wink
(2010-12-18, 06:57 PM)Zack Magee Wrote: [ -> ]It was a joke Wink
ooh. I also suck hard at arithmetic calculations Big Grin

(2010-12-18, 06:41 PM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]Simple if statements are easy and I've probably written more ifs than mybb's switches Toungue.
But i was looking at a PI Calculating program written in C or C++ and i daresay most i couldn't comprehend due to math calculations.

What equation was used to calculate PI? From what I can recall, generating it accurately requires an extremely complex algorithm. That most university students would struggle to understand and explain Wink
Quote:we don't know how much is 8*7 or something as easy as that

If someone can give the answer to 8*7 instantly because they've memorized it - they haven't done any math and that kind of knowledge is utterly useless when it comes to programming.

What you need to know is the concept of "multiply X by Y", so if I lock you up for a week, you should be able to give the answer because you had enough time to think about it. And that's all you need for programming; an understanding of concepts and ideas and logic.

In other words, you need math, but not the kind of math you did at school where you have to provide the results in a short time frame (i.e. solve problems in a math test). The computer provides the results for you, that's what they're there for. What you have to provide is the program: the concept of what should be done and how. As long as you can do that you can be a programmer, even if you suck at mental arithmetic.

I suck at math myself. You'd have to lock me up for a year if you wanted me to write a 3D engine from scratch. However nobody forces you to make something that's strictly and directly math related. Take this forum software for example; there is very little math involved. Pretty much all it has to do is count posts...
(2010-12-18, 08:16 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Take this forum software for example; there is very little math involved. Pretty much all it has to do is count posts...
R u kidding???

Sorry but i will have to give you a neutral rep for this Big Grin
Math (I hate to say this) is needed for everything. Go hit the books if you want to survive in this world.
(2010-12-19, 04:51 AM)Nayar Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-18, 08:16 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Take this forum software for example; there is very little math involved. Pretty much all it has to do is count posts...
R u kidding???

math in MyBB code? there is adding and subtracting posts/threads, etc and some comparisons <, > etc. there is no "math" in MyBB, PHP is doing all the work for you. $i = $i++ to get the next number is not "math", that is a computer compiler doing the work for you.
(2010-12-19, 05:43 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-19, 04:51 AM)Nayar Wrote: [ -> ]
R u kidding???

math in MyBB code? there is adding and subtracting posts/threads, etc and some comparisons <, > etc. there is no "math" in MyBB, PHP is doing all the work for you. $i = $i++ to get the next number is not "math", that is a computer compiler doing the work for you.

Negative sir, it also counts the number of plugins! Ahah, yes there's no complicated math in MyBB and it will be probably hard for someone who wants to learn C++ for coding a 3D game after switching from PHP to C++ since PHP doesn't require much math calculations neither a too complex logic. I personally find PHP much much much easier than C++ (for obvious reasons) but I also find C++ a lot more exciting when coding due to the complexity of things and the math it requires (I love math) but it's hard sometimes.

@Nayar, what math do you think is involved?
(2010-12-19, 10:39 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]Negative sir, it also counts the number of plugins! Ahah, yes there's no complicated math in MyBB and it will be probably hard for someone who wants to learn C++ for coding a 3D game after switching from PHP to C++ since PHP doesn't require much math calculations neither a too complex logic. I personally find PHP much much much easier than C++ (for obvious reasons) but I also find C++ a lot more exciting when coding due to the complexity of things and the math it requires (I love math) but it's hard sometimes.

@Nayar, what math do you think is involved?

haha, the plugins fall into the "etc" in my post Toungue

there are various languages that are best suited for certain things. No need to write something in C++ to parse a simple text file for example

I use VB/VBA/SQL for my engineering work and most of my work is tabular/repetitive as well as VB/VBA/Python for my GIS work.
Someone has to say it. 8*7 is 56. But I rarely use math in what I do. Closest I get is fir($x = 1;$x <= count($y);$x++){}
Pages: 1 2 3 4