MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Fourmotion to MyBB Change
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello. I have just looked into changing my website into MyBB. How can I do this? Thank you. Wink
You can't, without a python script and such things are completely illegal.
you must convert like this ::

forumotion >> phpbb >> mybb

but then please be aware that its not legally correct (what i was told), you will have a lot of bugs like passwords being reset and such!
Alright, thanks! Smile And I'm using forumotion for my website already. Wink
Don't do it. ForuMotion are cracking down on it now, they're getting angry.
(2010-12-20, 04:53 AM)UndiscoveredTalent Wrote: [ -> ]Don't do it. ForuMotion are cracking down on it now, they're getting angry.

I'm curious, is it really illegal, or they just don't like it.

I honestly gave up on reading their ToS too, since it is very very poorly translated. Which is one reason I would never use them. If I cannot properly understand their ToS, I'm not going to agree to it!

I'm worried about a US law against this, I don't see it covered under any of the current laws regarding internet data. I say this, because all such scripts are is a crawler. Search Engines such as Google use a Crawler as well. Nor is it theft of digital property unless somewhere in that screwed up ToS it says that all content of forumotion forums is owned by whatever company owns forumotion. Though that is a personal view, and in that event does come down to semantics. Which is why I'm trying to educate myself on it, I hate being uninformed.

Links appreciated Smile
It's stated somewhere in ForuMotion ToS that using any Python Crawlers on their forums is considered illegal activity and grounds for immediate forum closure. They get pissed off when people take the forum off their hosting 'cause they get no money for sticking ads all over them.
Even the staff themselves are unaware of the facts check this
(2010-12-20, 06:02 AM)UndiscoveredTalent Wrote: [ -> ]It's stated somewhere in ForuMotion ToS that using any Python Crawlers on their forums is considered illegal activity and grounds for immediate forum closure. They get pissed off when people take the forum off their hosting 'cause they get no money for sticking ads all over them.

I searched the ToS for "python" and got nothing Wink
And as I already said I'm not going to try and read that gobble gook mess of a translation. But that isn't "illegal" either. That's a violation of ToS, but not something you'll be prosecuted by the law for. Its just against their rules. If its even in there Wink As I said, link (and possibly a search keyword to direct to the appropriate place) is appreciated.

I do feel sorry for the people who want to leave, and really Forumotion and other companies are stupid about it anyways. Here is why:
  • You tick people off because they can't transfer, a lot will leave anyways and close/delete their free forum. You still lose the ad revenue.
  • You close their account because they try and use a crawler to transfer. You still lose the ad revenue.
  • You tick people off because your system is too restrictive when they wish to upgrade themselves. You still lose the ad revenue.

Now, Forumotion doesn't have one thing that many other "Free" hosts have: The ability to upgrade to a paid plan that does allow you to have access to your database and files. I've known people who've used other freebie services and either paid a fee for their database (I think my friend Eric paid $20 for his db), or paid for a month of the paid forum just to get db access and downloaded their db. If Forumotion was smart they would allow people that they're likely to lose anyways buy their db out.
(2010-12-20, 06:10 AM)Dimon Wrote: [ -> ]Even the staff themselves are unaware of the facts check this

Thanks. Kind of sad really. As I stated above, it would be better for them if they just let people buy db's out. Eventually everyone wants to leave a free forum.
Pages: 1 2