MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Plugin Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
That's separate from the mods sections of the website. You can have a plugin in the mods site and not have it in the releases forum.
(2010-12-20, 12:56 AM)Janota Wrote: [ -> ]Click the plugin name in the plugin section in acp will bring you directly to the plugin authors website.

This.

(2010-12-20, 12:59 AM)UndiscoveredTalent Wrote: [ -> ]He's also talking about how long it takes too... Registering on many different websites just to gain one bit of support for 5 plugins would be quite annoying, wouldn't you agree?

No, the majority of the offsite plugins (like most of mine) require you to have a paid subscription to the author's website anyways. Which mean's you're a member before you ever get the plugin in the first place.

(2010-12-20, 02:22 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]5 different plugins from 5 different plugin authors, each of whom has multiple plugins to support. its much easier for the plugin author to support THEIR plugins they are writing in a single location than to track the multitude of support threads here.

This also.

(2010-12-20, 04:51 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]It's up to the plugin authors. Nothing says they have to support them at all after release. If you really need help with something that you get for free it shouldn't be to much to ask to register on a new forum just for support.

Actually, all plugins released on the Mods site are required to be supported here on the MyBB website. Or at least that's how I understood it from the last Staff meeting. I do not currently see that on th Mods site rules, so it honestly may have changed. AJS or MattRogowski could tell us for sure, that's really their department.

(2010-12-20, 05:01 AM)UndiscoveredTalent Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:2) The author must be able to provide active support for the plugins or modifications, and keep them up-to-date with MyBB releases.

Found here - http://community.mybb.com/thread-43555.html

Yes, that's for the releases forum. However your plugin has to be on the Mods site to qualify for the releases forum.

(2010-12-20, 05:08 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]That's separate from the mods sections of the website. You can have a plugin in the mods site and not have it in the releases forum.

Correct, but as I stated above, the last Staff meeting I attended it was mentioned that all Mod's site submissions were going to be required to be supported here. Which in reality is easy for an author to do, if they create the thread in the support forum here they can link it with their Mods site entry.

<Disclaimer>
My one caveat to this is that I honestly don't keep up with any rules changes regarding the Mods site since it isn't my responsibility. So please be aware that I may be corrected on this. However, that said, I do support all my plugins from the Mods site here on MyBB's Plugins Support forum and feel that all authors should rule or no.
</Disclaimer>
I had a good thought apparently, cool!
Really, it's not much for plugin authors to check a thread here once every 2 days, it'll take no more than 5 minutes.
I will give support on my website whether you like it or not.
(2010-12-20, 08:02 AM)Nayar Wrote: [ -> ]I will give support on my website whether you like it or not.

That's fine, your choice.
(2010-12-20, 08:09 AM)UndiscoveredTalent Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-20, 08:02 AM)Nayar Wrote: [ -> ]I will give support on my website whether you like it or not.
That's fine, your choice.
Yep. I know Wink
I am not against providing support on your own website, I just think it should definitely be offered here also, I think this will make it easier as a whole for users who use multiple plugins such as I me I use your fb connect plugin and an arcade plugin, both have there own serperate websites I needed to register on. I think if plugin authors supported there plugins here we would have a more reliable mods.mybb site a bigger more plugins but most importantly attract more users to mybb. If I were looking for a forum software one main thing I look at is the available plugins on the actual forum software site along with the support.
see, you may have a few plugins that you want support for, but as a plugin author I need to support several plugins with potentially thousands of users. it is easier to offer that support in a way that I can control, organize and document that is most efficient to me, otherwise I would not be able to support my plugins at all due to time constraints, etc.

Of course personally I support my plugins here and only here as I dont want to start another site just for them, nor clutter up my existing site with things outside its content niche. The "I" above is only for explanation purposes
You're free to release your plugin anywhere you want. However, if you release it here, you must provide support, but it doesn't say it must be here. If they change it to "provide support here", I'll stop releasing plugins here. I release plugins and I support them (some for free and some for paid subscribers only), forcing me to support them here will make me stop releasing plugins here.
Pages: 1 2 3