MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Installing 1.6 over 1.2 database
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have my 1.2 forum hosted by some company. I would like to move it to another host and install the latest 1.6. Is it possible to transfer the database and install 1.6 on top of the 1.2 DB, or should I first install the 1.2 forum on the new host and do the upgrade? Please advise. Thanks in advance.
Mike Berg
You don't install on top of the other db. You would upload your 1.2 database and forum to the new server, and then upload the 1.6 files and do the upgrade. Smile
Thanks for the quick reply. Can I skip the step of uploading the old forum to the new host, by just transferring the DB and install 1.6?
(2010-12-21, 04:13 PM)mberg Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the quick reply. Can I skip the step of uploading the old forum to the new host, by just transferring the DB and install 1.6?

You'll lose your attachments, but you probably can. You'll also have to generate your own config.php if you do, so that the upgrade knows what the db info is.
You'd need to transfer the ./uploads/ folder to save your attachments but other than that, you shouldn't need to transfer anything. None of your plugins and themes will work on 1.6 so you won't need to transfer those.
(2010-12-21, 04:16 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-21, 04:13 PM)mberg Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the quick reply. Can I skip the step of uploading the old forum to the new host, by just transferring the DB and install 1.6?

You'll lose your attachments, but you probably can. You'll also have to generate your own config.php if you do, so that the upgrade knows what the db info is.

If have the old forum there, where am I gonna put 1.6 files? In a separate folder? I guess I should not override the old ones.
They'll need to go in place of the current files at some point, otherwise it isn't much of an upgrade as it'd still be using the old files...
Thanks guys, you rock!
Make sure you have full backups of your files and database though before you do anything just in case something goes wrong.
Installed 1.6 and lost all my data (I have the backup). Installer created new tables. Is there a way to keep my existing posts, users so on in my database while installing/upgrading to the new version?
Pages: 1 2