MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need Advice on myBB (vs SMF, phpBB, bbPress)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. I run a community for several groups of people learning foreign languages and I NEED SOME ADVICE on which bb platform to use. The bb/forums are the most active part of our website, so this is a very important decision. I would greatly appreciate any advice or comments you can offer.

1) When I ran our forums on phpBB2 it was terribly difficult to install Mods, keep track of changes, and perform maintenance on the site unless I kept very careful records of what parts of code I was changing. Does bbPress make this easier and more user-friendly? Is it wizard-based or through a control panel? Or does it require manual cutting and pasting of code?

2) I'm a beginner and do not know much about php. Is myBB popular enough that there is plenty of support available online?

3) Is it secure? I used to run our forums on phpBB2 and they were eventually overrun with spam. No matter what anti-spam mods I installed, it never seemed to fix the problem.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your time. I look forward to your replies.

Regards,

R.S.
(2010-12-22, 08:17 AM)ryanryan Wrote: [ -> ]1) When I ran our forums on phpBB2 it was terribly difficult to install Mods, keep track of changes, and perform maintenance on the site unless I kept very careful records of what parts of code I was changing. Does bbPress make this easier and more user-friendly? Is it wizard-based or through a control panel? Or does it require manual cutting and pasting of code?
Every plugin comes with a plugin file that you upload to ./inc/plugins which you can then activate through the AdminCP. Smile

Quote:2) I'm a beginner and do not know much about php. Is myBB popular enough that there is plenty of support available online?
Yes.

Quote:3) Is it secure? I used to run our forums on phpBB2 and they were eventually overrun with spam. No matter what anti-spam mods I installed, it never seemed to fix the problem.
MyBB is very secure, and there is one popular Anti-Spam mod available called StopForumSpam.
Here is your simple answer, ryanryan

http://www.forum-software.org/vote-best-...re-of-2010

if you cant see results, just cast a vote for your favourite software and see the results for mybb.
Quote:1) When I ran our forums on phpBB2 it was terribly difficult to install Mods, keep track of changes, and perform maintenance on the site unless I kept very careful records of what parts of code I was changing. Does bbPress make this easier and more user-friendly? Is it wizard-based or through a control panel? Or does it require manual cutting and pasting of code?

Just the upload, and activate and deactivate via ACP. Can't be easier.

Quote:2) I'm a beginner and do not know much about php. Is myBB popular enough that there is plenty of support available online?

Of course it is.

Quote:3) Is it secure? I used to run our forums on phpBB2 and they were eventually overrun with spam. No matter what anti-spam mods I installed, it never seemed to fix the problem.

Yes MyBB is very Secure, and like ryanryan sayed for plugin called StopForumSpam he is very good.