MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Migrate WordPress/bbPress users to myBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all!

I would like to migrate all of my WordPress/bbPress users (including their e-mail addresses and login passwords) to myBB. WordPress and bbPress are currently integrated.

The merge tool does not list WordPress or bbPress as being supported. Does anyone have suggestions on how I would go about migrating the users?

Thanks in advance!
bbPress is actually supported by the current svn trunk.
http://dev.mybb.com/projects/mybb-import/repository

You can find svn instructions here:
http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Development:SVN_Access
Thank you so much, Dylan! And sorry for not saying so earlier.

SVN is new to me, so I am in the process of learning how to use it because I would really like to get this migration on the way. Thanks to the team for incorporating bbPress support in the Merge System!

Will post later on my progress or if I encounter any problems.
UPDATE 1

So I selected to import from bbPress 1.0, but after entering the database connection details, I get an error stating that:

Quote:There seems to be one or more errors with the database configuration information that you supplied:

The BBPress 1.0 database could not be found in 'xyz_mydb'. Please ensure BBPress 1.0 exists at this database and with this table prefix.

Once the above are corrected, continue with the conversion.

I have used the same connection details that are specified in my bb-config.php file, but these are not working.
UPDATE 2

Instead of specifying my bbPress table prefix in the database configuration, I used WordPress'. Merge was able to retrieve the usernames and e-mail addresses of my subscribers. However, when I tried to log in with a test account, myBB refused to accept the password and reported that it was incorrect.

I accessed phpMyAdmin and noticed that myBB's users table did not contain anything in the 'password' field save the record for Administrator. Does this mean that the passwords were not imported?

I should probably clarify this before proceeding any further. bbPress and WordPress already had "deep" integration. I originally set it up to share the same database, although each installation used a different table prefix.

Thanks for any further help you can provide.
Just checking in to see if there are any suggestions on getting the passwords imported.
The password fields are supposed to be empty. You need to look for passwordconverttype and such near the end of the table.
Thank you for the response, Dylan.

The 'passwordconvert' and 'passwordconverttype' fields are populated with data, the latter containing "bbpress".

What does this mean in terms of users being able to log in? Using one of my test accounts (non-admin), I was unable to log in until I requested a password reset.
The passwordconvert field should contain your bbPress password, and the passwordconverttype tells the loginconvert plugin that it should treat it as a bbPress style password; which may not work if Wordpress uses a different hashing algorithm than bbPress.

Speaking of the plugin however, can you verify that it is installed and activated in your AdminCP->Plugins? If not, thats your problem. If it is, give me ftp access and database access in a PM and I'll check out the hashing algorithm your bbPress/Wordpress install is using and make sure that the plugin will support it.