MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Numerous Spam Bots Crippling Me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. I had a Forum where I enabled Guest Posting. Sadly I got hit hard by hundreds of bots spamming the Forums. I then switched over to email verification and STILL I get hit by these bots. The users register random nicks and spam weird Russian nonsense. What options do I have? And is there anyway to get back my Guest posting or has that idea flown out of the roof now?

EDIT: I Think I posted in the wrong section. Please move me to the proper one if I have. Apologies.
Moved.

You can try the StopForumSpam plugin.
Anything compatible with MyBB 1.6.1? It says that is incompatible.
EDIT: Nevermind, I just changed 14* to 16* in the script.
Also, I recommend the Fassim Anti-Spam plugin too.
(2010-12-22, 10:40 PM)MadCatZA Wrote: [ -> ]Hello. I had a Forum where I enabled Guest Posting. Sadly I got hit hard by hundreds of bots spamming the Forums. I then switched over to email verification and STILL I get hit by these bots. The users register random nicks and spam weird Russian nonsense. What options do I have? And is there anyway to get back my Guest posting or has that idea flown out of the roof now?

EDIT: I Think I posted in the wrong section. Please move me to the proper one if I have. Apologies.

Another way is to have ALL guest posting pre moderated for approval.

I created a single place in the forum for guests to post in.That way they (the loser spammers) can not mess up the whole board.
Plugin does not work

MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue.

SQL Error:
1366 - Incorrect integer value: 'NULL' for column 'gid' at row 1
Query:
INSERT INTO mybb_settinggroups (gid,name,title,description,disporder,isdefault) VALUES ('NULL','stopforumspam','Stopforumspam.com check.','Checks new registrations against www.stopforumspam.com','5','0')
Hello? Help please? Otherwise I am going to be forced to switch Forum software...