MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help with PHP & Ajax
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, i've got this page:

[Image: recipie-ajax.png]

And i need the contents of the ingredients boxes to be added to a cookie in the format:
ingredient:quantity

And i also need ajax to remove the cookie and display the values of the cookies in the table.

So far, i've worked out that:
<?php print_r($_COOKIE); ?>
Will display all the cookies on the same domain as the script.

So that can be used for loading all the cookies, then using PHP to explode out the ':'s.

But i've never used ajax before, so i need some help. My attempt failed - nothing happened when i clicked the 'Add Ingredient' button.

Can anyone with Ajax experience help me?

Thanks Smile
If you are using cookies to pass the information to PHP, it isn't Ajax Toungue

In this case I don't even think you'll be needing Ajax. Just some Javascript will be enough.

I guess this is for a MyBB plugin? And everything is in a form?

If this is for MyBB you can use the Prototype JS which is already include in the core to help you a bit along.
I scribbled some code together for an example: http://jsbin.com/ujoso5/edit (click preview to see it in action)
Fill in an ingredient and the quantity and click the Add button. This will insert a new row above the current row with the values you just entered and the add button will be replaced by a remove button. Because the input fields are named "ingredient[]" and "quantity[]" these fields will show up as an array in the $_POST or $mybb->input variables. You can loop through them to when handling the form submission like this:
$ingredient_count = count($mybb->input['ingredient']);
for($i=0; $i < $ingredient_count; $i++)
{
    // ignore empty ingredients
    if(empty($mybb->input['ingredient'][$i])) continue;

$ingredient = $mybb->input['ingredient'][$i];
    $quantity = $mybb->input['quantity'][$i];
    // do something with those variables
}

I hope this helps you.
Now this is nifty, and I will be looking at it in more detail - but - in the demo - the text we enter does not stay visible....

Is that because its the demo?

Its JUST what I have been looking for to use in threads submissions
There is no save option in the demo, no. This is only to demonstrate the Javascript because that is what, I think, the TS needed in this case.
Its not for a MyBB plugin, but that code is perfect Big Grin

Thank you sooo much Smile
However, there is a problem - i need to echo the individual ingredients onto a blank page, but i can't get them to be seperate.

This is the code i'm using:
$ingredient_count = count($_POST['ingredient']);

for($i=0; $i < $ingredient_count; $i++) {
	if(empty($_POST['ingredient'][$i])) continue;

$ingredient = $_POST['ingredient'][$i].":".$_POST['quantity'][$i];

}

echo $ingredient;

However, it only displays the last ingredient that was in the textboxes.
Do a foreach maybe?
You overwrite the variable each time. Let me guess: you only see the last one?

Try this:
$ingredient_count = count($_POST['ingredient']);
$ingredients = "";

for($i=0; $i < $ingredient_count; $i++) {
    if(empty($_POST['ingredient'][$i])) continue;

$ingredients .= $_POST['ingredient'][$i].":".$_POST['quantity'][$i] ."<br/>";

}

echo $ingredients; 
I already solved this on msn, sorry for not letting you know Confused
(2010-12-24, 10:22 PM)Charlie Hadden Wrote: [ -> ]I already solved this on msn, sorry for not letting you know Confused

Its always handy to have the information in the thread though - I think a lot of people are interested in this.