MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Minecraft Server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm thinking of getting a cheap VPS for playing minecraft with a few friends. What sort of server specifications should I be looking at if I want to play with a maximum of ten people? I'm not really looking for any VPS recommendations, but any suggestions will be welcomed, but I am more interested in what sort of RAM I should invest in (Burst and Dedicated), and bandwidth. I guessed this would be a good place to ask, with this being a forum software community with lots of web guru's.

Thanks.
If you have 10 people playing at the same time you'll probably want at least 1gb of dedicated ram. That's assuming you aren't running anything else on the box.
Minecraft is Extremely RAM intensive. Also, be sure you know how to run a minecraft server Toungue

I reccomend: https://www.jestservers.com/panel/cart.php

I had my minecraft server there, and the staff were excellent. I just didnt have money at the time Toungue
I don't actually know how do run a minecraft server. I was kind of hoping to pick it up as I went along. Is it hard to run?

Also, I have seen this: http://www.multiplaygameservers.com/game...minecraft/

I'm not sure whether I should get a VPS though - I could probably fit more people on the server for the price. I'm not too sure about that though. My budget is about £8 a month, as it is probably going to be less than £8 on the server.
Its not hard to run really. Once its setup its easy, but when you go for professional services, you get the comfort that if your server crashes, it will be restarted very quickly Smile
I'll definitely play on your server! Smile
I hosted a server on my 768MB VPS from Linode, and it was either that or my CSConfused server that ate up my CPU. Thankfully, it wasn't a big issue.
Awesomes.

Okay, I am stuck on a dilemma.

Should I go for the multiplay, which has everything pre-configured, and requires no management or server skills? Or should I get a cheap VPS which doesn't limit how many players that can be on the server; only the limitation of RAM, not a given number of slots. However, I only have a budget of £8 - that could get me 8 slots a month on multiplay, or a cheap VPS. I am currently trying to find out about how much recourses we will have on multiplay, and whether it is a good deal - or whether a VPS is worth my money.

Thoughts?
Multiplay. There won't be any VPSs out there that have a good amount of RAM for that price.
I run a minecraft server on 1gb dedicated and 2gb burst, I have to limit the JVM to 1gb though. I haven't tested beta or with many players though, for a game that seems so simple it uses a lot of resources.
Pages: 1 2