MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Custom Ranks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just converted my 10 year old forum from phpBB to myBB and wow what a difference - I am getting great feedback from my users.

I am having trouble understanding some of the functionality and hoping for some help or guidance.

This is a virtual airline group. Our members have different ranks as virtual pilots (i.e. student, first officer, captain, command captain, etc.)

I would like these ranks to show up under their username. They are not based upon performance within the forum (i.e. not based upon number of posts or reputation) but based upon an external promotion system. We also do not want to allow the user to change this (only the admin should change this rank - as I don't want a student coming in and deciding he should be instantly promoted to command captain).

I also have images for each of these ranks that I would like to appear (they can actually appear instead of any text).

Any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this?

Go to ACP > Users and Groups > Groups > Select your usergroup OR Create a new usergroup > and add the URL of Rank image in "Group Image" option field. Smile
I appreciate the info but I already attempted that. I'm not looking to create another group (especially since doing so only requires additional criteria such as reputation, minimal posts, etc.)

I am trying to find where the code for the ranking appears (not sure if it is in a template or php file). I am thinking I might be able to change the rank for a custom profile field and have that appear where the rank and stars currently appear.
well to get rid of the stars, change the number of stars to 0, and to replace the text rank with image rank try using a mod (I've seen it in the mod page here in mybb but dont remember the name of it)
Groups are ranks in MyBB. If you don't want one to have more privileges than another group then just copy permissions from the Registered group.
Just add new groups. You can make them named the proper thing, and have the same permissions.

Alternately, just manually change each user's title.
The best I suggest is add a plugin named "awards"
then goto this forum http://www.admintechforum.com
its a fairly new forum there post the award images you want like what ranks should be on the image they will create a personalized ranks free of cost in a day so now if you post by evening you will have it and if you need more help how to install and configure post in that forum itself they will personally login and set it up for you.

I have checked their service and its great they are genuine helpers not hackers.
You can:

A - Make new groups and then give them a new group with a pre-set usertitle/group image and specific permissions (recommended, as it seems to fit what you need)

B - Make a simple rank that can be gained by time on the forum, number of posts, and/or referrals.

Smile
@ gilman01
Did you get your work done ?
(2010-12-27, 07:58 AM)Emperor Wrote: [ -> ]@ gilman01
Did you get your work done ?
Sorry for the delay but I've been out sick. I am heading to your recommended site as soon as I finish this response.