MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Changing destination URL for logo.gif
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I'm new to MyBB forums. I installed a test forum on one of my sites and I kind of like it. I've been trying to change the URL of the logo.gif from mysite.com/forum to mysite.com/ so if someone clicks on the logo they will be directed to my site's start page rather than the forum. In searching these forums I find that I'm supposed to go to Admin/Templates/modify-delete but when I try that there is nothing to edit or modify, it just shows a box that says Default Templates in it but there's nothing to edit. I tried finding the actual file using FTP but I have no idea what it's called. In SMF which I'm a bit more familiar with, I just edit the index template.php file but there's no file with that name in MyBB that I can find. Any help would be appreciated.
Go to Admin CP -> Templates -> Modify / delete -> *your template* -> expand -> header
find:
<a href="$settings[bburl]/index.php">
replace with:
<a href="$settings[homeurl]">
Thank you for your reply CraKter but I better stick to SMF. This is wayyyyyyyyy above my knowledge. At least I could find the line of code in the SMF indextemplate.php file that is written in HTML and change it. I tried to do what you suggested and it wanted me to create a new header template when all I want to do is change a simple file.

MyBB has a really nice and simple admin section as far as board settings, permissions etc. but evidently you have to be a PHP programmer to make a simple change in the code. With SMF it's easy to make simple changes in the code with just HTML knowledge but their board admin sections are horribly complicated and their permissions are impossible to figure out. I guess I just can't win.

Again, thanks much for taking the time to reply, I paid $50 for a charter membership at the SMF support forums but they still don't reply to my posts most of the time. Rolleyes
Quote:Thank you for your reply CraKter but I better stick to SMF. This is wayyyyyyyyy above my knowledge. At least I could find the line of code in the SMF indextemplate.php file that is written in HTML and change it. I tried to do what you suggested and it wanted me to create a new header template when all I want to do is change a simple file.

NO NO! please be patient, you dont need to add anything.
In mybb there is a template manager where all html codes are arrange in categories depending on their actuall place for example the header of all pages is the header template, in SMF these codes are in php files, however the way mybb do it is loads easier, just give a try and you see.

in case you were cinfused by using $settings[homeurl] for example, this is only a variable that you can replace by any suitable code. it is not that the codes are not html

regards
Actually, if you do what I told you.
Go to Admin CP -> Templates -> Modify / delete -> *your template* -> expand -> header (just click it) you should come to an page with an edit able template for the header. it is not that hard actually, you just need to get use to it, I've used SMF myself, I don't think it is any easier, in fact I think it is harder.
Actually $settings[homeurl] is an setting of the forum. You can change it in Admin CP -> Board settings -> Change -> Homepage URL
Um, why bother with the template at all? Change it in the theme.

Go to AdminCP > Modify/Delete > Choose to modify the theme you're using > The 5th setting down is the path to your forum logo. Just change it. No need to modify any code at all.
Yes there is, He/she doesen't want to change the logo, he/she wants to change the url of the logo.
Thanks zaher1988, CraKteR and Galen for your responses. I'm sorry I took so long to reply, I found out there is no convertor for SMF to MyBB so this is all pointless. I have several SMF forums with a fair number of members and posts so it wouldn't be practical to start over.

If I ever find a need to start a new board, I'm sure I'll choose MyBB and if they ever get an official convertor from SMF, I'll give it a go.

Best Regards,

Ed
There is a SMF to phpBB Coverter. You can later convert phpBB to MyBB.

regards
zaher1988 Wrote:There is a SMF to phpBB Coverter. You can later convert phpBB to MyBB.

regards

Thanks zaher,

I'll check into it but it sounds a bit riskier than a single conversion. Twice as many chances for something going wrong.Big Grin