MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Spam Sign Ups
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been experiencing a lot of sign ups on my forum which are spam. I have reCaptcha running but whatever it is making the accounts is still getting past it. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anyway to stop it?

Thanks in advance!
If they're easily getting past reCaptcha they're probably humans signing them up, these days a lot of them are as they can easily get past any CAPTCHA. There's little you can do to stop human spammers really... you could also try the Stop Forum Spam plugin though and see if that does anything.
OK, that sounds about right but they all use Gmail for signing up... Could it be googlebot doing it?
No, Googlebot is what crawls and indexes your site in Google, Google aren't going to be spamming your site.
If they were foreign spammers then the easy way you can use Sercurity Question Field here:

http://mybbvn.com/forum/thread-1963.html...tion+field
That is because they are humans not bots while registering. I have experienced it in my both forums. I have read some were that there are groups like PTC group they create ID's and give to bots, I cant confirm this but I think it exists.
Well thanks for all the input guys!
(2010-12-27, 09:28 AM)MikeP Wrote: [ -> ]Well thanks for all the input guys!

I had heaps of trouble with spammers signing up and found that the ZB Block script helped a lot. It's not a MyBB plugin as such but can protect any php script. I've already posted about it here.