MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Howto: Add user to a group
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do I add a user to a group?
MyBB V1.6
ACP > Users & Groups > **choose the user** > Change their Primary Usergroup.
Thanks Matt... so I am now assuming a user can only be a member of one group?

So If I want to have a private forum for a student to place homework in, and all other students should not be able to see the forum, I will need to create a group for every student with custom permissions to every forum?

Is there a way to lock down a forum to specific members instead of groups?
No, you can have as many groups as you can.
ACP > Users & Groups > **choose the user** > Change their Primary Usergroup. - primary group is the main group name that is displayed on board.
If you want him to have other groups, below the primary group box, you will see additional groups. in that by holding ctrl key, select the groups you want to assign to the user. So that he can change to any group from his usercp and keep as primary group and he will have access to the forums according to the permissions of respective groups.

if you want to set a user with specific permissions, us "custom user permissions" from MattRogowski Smile
http://mods.mybb.com/view/custom-user-permissions
You can add users to more that one group, the list for that is right under the primary usergroup option.

You can set permissions for each group in each forum, however what you might want to do is make one forum called 'Homework' or something, then in the permissions for that forum, edit the permissions for the usergroup the students are in, and tick the 'Can only view own threads?' permission. That way they can all post in one forum, you'll be able to see all threads, but they'll only be able to see their own.

To make that a bit clearer; go to ACP > Forums & Posts > find the forum that homework will go in > press the Options button on the right > choose 'Permissions' > find the group students are in > click 'Set Custom Permissions' > tick the 'Can only view own threads?' option > save.

(2010-12-26, 09:02 PM)TheGodFather Wrote: [ -> ]custom user permissions from matt Smile
http://mods.mybb.com/view/custom-user-permissions

Probably wouldn't be necessary here, as they'd need a forum for each student, which would be overkill really.