MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SEO tips?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I don't really know how to operate so a website gets a better ranking on Google and other search engines (Google being the priority of course). For the moment Basic Central has a terrible page rank. By typing "visual basic central" it's not even on the first page (for a website about Visual Basic and called Basic Central, I hope it can get better..).
So I use the Google SEO plugin, made a sitemap and I use Labrocca's MyMeta plugin (meta generation disabled in Google SEO) with something like 5 key words (must be: visual basic, basic, coding, programming, code -or something similar).

I also read a lot about backlinks, and the way of getting them. You can also buy some backlinks so your website gets a better page rank. Do you think it's worth it? How would be the common -but a little fast- way of getting backlinks?

Please move this thread if it isn't in the wright section.
You're unlikely to get on the first page with that query. I imagine microsoft's visual basic page, msdn and sites like dreamincode and daniweb are at the top, purely because they get lots of visitors and lots of backlinks Smile
Unique content with SEO url's is useful.
I wouldn't bother buying backlinks, manual is the best way. Post on forums, submit to directories, offer your members prizes for the most promotional threads or backlinks. Put a link in your signature on every forum you're at.
Don't use link farms either - google is watching you Toungue

On a serious note, google penalises sites that get artificial backlinks from link farms Wink
Btw, your forum was opened in November right? Don't worry about PR, it's not updated in real-time, it's 4 times a year.
Yes, my forum was created in November but only online since two weeks now so I know I can't expect much. You're talking about SEO urls, I know the Google SEO plugin offers something similar, but not knowing exactly what it was and how to use it, I didn't. Is it good for SEO?

I also have unique content, so this is fine. I don't know if it is because it was Christmas for the last two days (depending on time zone) but my analytics report shows a massive decrease of visits for that period.
Yes it's great.
showthread.php?tid=333&pid=2
OR
Thread-Basic-Central?pid=2

#2 is clearly better.
(2010-12-27, 01:23 AM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]Yes it's great.
showthread.php?tid=333&pid=2
OR
Thread-Basic-Central?pid=2

#2 is clearly better.

Huum yeah. Is this done by the Google SEO plugin?
Yes it is.
(2010-12-27, 12:46 AM)Bencori Wrote: [ -> ]By typing "visual basic central" it's not even on the first page (for a website about Visual Basic and called Basic Central, I hope it can get better..).

Your site isn't even called Visual Basic Central, it's just Basic Central. Wink

If you renamed your site, you'd probably have a better chance appearing for this query since Google also likes exact matches... However it'll be hard getting anywhere with the visual basic term, simply because you have a lot of competition going on there.
Pages: 1 2