MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Apostrophes don't work in usernames
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For some reason, whenever I try to type an apostrophe into a username to change it, it gives me a 403 error. When I change my username to something without an apostrophe, there is no problem.

There have been problems like this in the past, but I've disabled all my plugins and it still doesn't work. What seems to be the problem?

This is on the Four Star Mon forums, not here.
Could you post either here or in PM a screenshot of your php info page
Admincp>Tools & Maintenance>View PHP Info
You can view the phpinfo page here:

http://fourstarmon.com/magiquote.php
This seems to be a mod_security interference.

To test it out, you could try disabling mod_security and see if the problem goes away.

To disable, put this in your .htaccess
<IfModule mod_security.c>
   SecFilterEngine Off
   SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

If the above works then you can leave mod_security disabled. If thats not acceptable for you or your host then you'll need to selective allow apostrophes and so on.
Huh. I put it on there, but it still gives me a 403 when I try and change it to an apostrophe'd name.

I'll talk to the hosting manager about it.
*bump* Update - mod_security has been permanently disabled, but the 403 error still pops up.
EDIT: You could try disabling magic quotes:
Set the following in your php.ini:

magic_quotes_gpc = Off
magic_quotes_runtime = Off
magic_quotes_sybase = Off

Other than that you'll have to ask your host why that is happening, something in their setup is interfering but I can assure you that its not MyBB or we'd have heard more about this.

I don't have access to php.ini - it's a shared host.

Alright, I'll ask about it.
*bump* Huh. Even modifying php.ini doesn't do anything. I'll try on another host.

*edit* And on another host it works! Thanks for helping anyway, everyone.