MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Registering Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2010-12-30, 07:17 AM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]I thought this because many users at my forum reported that after removing the line their users are using / registering their site normally, except some "proxied" users. This is actualy because of the @fsockopen function, which is refusing the connection of any detected proxy.

(2010-12-30, 09:06 AM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-30, 07:17 AM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]I thought this because many users at my forum reported that after removing the line their users are using / registering their site normally, except some "proxied" users. This is actualy because of the @fsockopen function, which is refusing the connection of any detected proxy.

If you read the release thread for the plugin
http://community.mybb.com/thread-84412.html
You'll see that I tried to bring it up with Yaldaram about that fsockopen implementation he is using, it is ineffective and will give more false positives than it is good for.
Which is exactly why I said "some functionality".
(2010-12-30, 09:23 AM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]Which is exactly why I said "some functionality".

IMO that functionality is moot hence why I say what I say. It gives a false sense of security that you have a proxy blocker when in reality its not doing anything and possibly blocking legitimate users to your site.

I felt it was important for users to know about this which is why I have brought this up, its up to the users and Yaldaram if they want to do anything about it.
(2010-12-30, 09:00 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-30, 08:40 AM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-30, 08:12 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]

I think I've to revive this plugin again to work under all circumstances. Undecided

Thanks for your suggestion too.

Thats my point, removing that line is essentially disabling the plugin from doing anything, so why not just ask them to deactivate rather than give them a false assurance that they have proxy detector when in essence its just an empty plugin doing nothing without that line. Undecided
Well it still has some functionality.

And what is that?

Hi,

Actually this line;
@fsockopen( $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'], 80, $errstr, $errno, 1 ) || @fsockopen( $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'], 443, $errstr, $errno, 1 )
is still in the plugin (after editing the plugin, which is posted above) so this is also "functional". (Please correct me if I'm wrong about its functionality)
(2010-12-30, 10:18 AM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-30, 09:00 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-30, 08:40 AM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-30, 08:12 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]

I think I've to revive this plugin again to work under all circumstances. Undecided

Thanks for your suggestion too.

Thats my point, removing that line is essentially disabling the plugin from doing anything, so why not just ask them to deactivate rather than give them a false assurance that they have proxy detector when in essence its just an empty plugin doing nothing without that line. Undecided
Well it still has some functionality.

And what is that?

Hi,

Actually this line;
@fsockopen( $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'], 80, $errstr, $errno, 1 ) || @fsockopen( $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'], 443, $errstr, $errno, 1 )
is still in the plugin (after editing the plugin, which is posted above) so this is also "functional". (Please correct me if I'm wrong about its functionality)

I already had a long discussion with you about this earlier on and I'm not going to get in to it again.
I raised my concern about something that I saw was going on that I didn't quite like and put it out there. How you or your users want to act on that information is up to you.
Pages: 1 2