MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Sleep Paralysis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Definition: The normal paralysis of the body that occurs during REM sleep; A situation where a person is not fully awake, and although conscious of their surroundings, unable to move or speak, often accompanied by feelings of terror.

Well, I read about this happening to other people, and guess what? It happened to me today Sad It was horrific, first time something like this has happened, and it was quite scary.

My mum woke me up quite early today and after about 1 hour, I told her, I'm going back to sleep, so I go to bed and I'm in the "early stages" of falling asleep, when suddenly my whole body starts getting this weird buzzing feeling and all of a sudden, I can't move. My eyes are closed, and I'm aware of everything happening around me, such as the normal "house" sounds like the floorboards creaking, and the radiator heating sounds but I can't move, my eyelids won't open, I try to move my fingers, legs, arms, anything but it feels like I'm all tied up and frozen. After about 1 minute or so (Don't even know if that's accurate since people say that in sleep paralysis, the person doesn't know the feeling of time, and 5 minutes can feel like 30 minutes) my arm suddenly unlocks after struggling, and then my whole body is able to move and everything is back to normal.

Does anyone have this/had this happen before?
I've heard of this happening, but then again, other people I've heard speak of it talk about moving out of their bodies during sleep and stuff. I'm fairly sure it's completely psychological and probably to do with a lack of sleep or increased stress. Were you sleeping face upwards in the supine position? Is said to cause it sometimes.
Wow, I'm sorry for you. I've never had that before. I'll be honest, it sounds like it'd be cool to hear everything. Could you like, think a straight though during it? Like could you control all of your thoughts and be logical about it?
@euantor: Yeah, I've heard of all kinds of stuff, such as hallucinations along with sleep paralysis, sounds and noises, faceless people in the room, thank god mine was simple Toungue And nope, I'm fairly sure I was sleeping on my side, with my arm under my head.

These kinds of things only happen to me when I wake up and go back to sleep, never at night time or normal sleep time. Only ever when I get woken up fully, and then go back to bed. Maybe I need to stop doing that.

@Derek: It happens to a lot of people, just like when you're about to drift off, and you get this sudden shock or feeling that you're falling. I could think properly, everything made sense, I wasn't confused or anything, but I was just thinking, what's happening, and then I remember reading about this kind of thing before, and thinking "OK, keep struggling and just wait until it wears off".
Oh wow, that's terrible.
I really want this to happen to me. I've spent a lot of time researching this and I'd love to experience it just to know what it feels like.
Odd. Lying face up is thought to be a key case. Apparently 99% of people experience it at least twice in their lives though, so it's not too big a deal unless it becomes a regular occurrence.
I kind of agree with Pyridine, but it would be scary. Of course, for like 10 minutes I'd love to just see what it was like aslong as it wouldn't harm me. Then I could be done with it. Toungue
A bunch of people here have had it " http://community.mybb.com/thread-45502-p...#pid314421 "
Haha, you guys Big Grin To tell the truth, I didn't have a true feeling of horror, just more of a "WTF BODY, WHAT'S HAPPENING, WHAT ARE YOU DOING? LOL"

And because I had heard/read of it before, I didn't feel scared, knowing it happens and it's normal. And after it wore off, I was like "Wow, erm, that was kinda weird". I wouldn't mind it happening again Toungue

Also, it seems that the trigger for me was either:

a) Lack of sleep, although I always sleep really late + the Holidays and all that biz.
b) Going back to sleep after waking up early in the morning (Most definite cause).

EDIT: Thanks Mark Smile
Pages: 1 2 3